Bought a rotary table

This is a horizontal AND vertical rotary table, 12" diameter.
aFor some details, see, for example
(Manual%20%26%20Power%20Feed)&OptionFamilyID=179
It can be mounted vertically and horizontally and has 30 seconds of
angle accuracy.
I would like to know if it can be mounted on the far end of the
milling table.
thanks
Ignoramus32024
Heavy sucker isn't it? I would recomend an investment in a lift cart.
?Itemnumber=93116 Wes
Reply to
Wes
snip---->
If you mean on a permanent basis, I would suggest that it should not be mounted such. It's too inconvenient not having access to both ends of the slots of your mill, for one, plus it will be in the way more than you can imagine. It will become a chip catcher and make cleaning the slots in your mill more difficult. You'd probably have to relocate the table to use it when you needed it, so you're far better off to store it on a bench that is very near table height, and close to the table of the mill. I store my rotab that way----so all I have to do to mount it on the mill is to slide it off the table far enough to wipe the edge clean, pick it up and move it ever so slightly to the mill table, wipe the balance of the base clean and slide it in position. It's not easy, but it's far easier than fighting with rotab being in the way when I use the mill. You'll come to realize that while a rotab is a very important accessory for manual milling, it doesn't get used a lot.
Harold
Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos
Wes, I have a shop crane, it should work for this purpose.
Ignoramus32024
Harold, OK, I will keep it on my shop table on casters. You have made good points.
Ignoramus32024
I simply would try it. But maybe that's too complicated for you.
Nick
Reply to
Nick Mueller
First rule of machine shop:
Never pick up something heavy until you have a place to put it down...
Reply to
Jerry Foster
I picked up a 12" rotary table and put it on a bp at work ONCE. Same kind of thinking had be buying a 6" kurt instead of a 8". So far my back still works and I'd like to keep it that way.
Wes
Reply to
Wes
Very wise. I while ago I made some homemade eye bolts that fit into slots on rotary tables and such, and they would come handy this time -- will work nicely with my shop crane.
Ignoramus22852
What happens 2 minutes after you mount it vertically and horizontally?
Reply to
Don Foreman
He'll get his first degree in understanding machining.
Nick
Reply to
Nick Mueller
Is that what I call an engine lift? We have a modified one at work with an electric actuator and counterweights for changing chucks on some of our CNC lathes.
Wes
Reply to
Wes
Other people call it engine hoist. I am not sure what is thew proper name. Here are some pictures. It is one of my most often needed tools.

Ignoramus22852
Yep!
They're a hand full! I have the right angle attachment for mine, and I've moved it once, assembled, too. It was all I could handle when I was one hell of a lot younger than I am now. Recent excursions with the angle bracket have had me assembling it on the mill. I can still handle the rotab, but don't walk anywhere with it.
Harold
Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos
Very nice, but make certain that they can't shift in the slots while you're using them. Don't rely strictly on balance for them to remain where you place them. I keep getting visions of the rotab tilting to one side, with the high side eye coming out of the slot.
Harold
Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos
It is too long to explain, and I am drunk, but no, they do not slide because I can screw them in and tighten. The nuts go into T slots and I screw the bolts into nuts so that they are totally fixed inside the slots.
Ignoramus22852
Note the hex cap screw pointing directly at you in this photo...
It's screwed into a blind 1/2-13 hole that's in plane with the table's CG and accepts a lifting eye.
Ned Simmons
Reply to
Ned Simmons
A-ha, that's what it is! I was aware that some tables have morse tapers in the middle, but apparently this one indeed takes bolts. Very nice. I will take my eyebolt with me when I go to pick it up. Could be some time next week, he is closed on Monday.
The seller told me that the weight of this table is 225 lbs. I cannot lift that much by myself.
Ignoramus534
Here is a twice enlarged version of this picture
Ignoramus534
I use a set of cables with flat hooks that slip in the ends of the T slots. The four short cables are connected to a big ring that hooks onto the lifting device. The hooks themselves are about the width and depth of the slots and are bent 100 degrees with a hole in the top for other end of the cable. They came with the machine I bought at an auction and work on anything that has T slots on it.
The thing is cheap enough to make and very handy if you are moving stuff with T slots in it. I use it for moving pallets on and off the machines. A couple of cable clamps, thimbles and a couple pieces of bar stock is what it takes to fabricate one.
John
Reply to
john