Bought a rotary table

Not the socket head in the top, the hex head pointing toward you. It allows you to pick up the table in the vertical orientation.

The center hole, assuming the table is identical to mine, is a straight bore.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

I used my homemade T slotted eye bolts similarly, for moving stuff with T slots in them. Troyke CS-12 and Troyke 15" compound slide/rotary table were the reason why I made such bolts. Now I certainly wish I had that 15 incher, though the one I bought now is suitable for me also, and a little lighter.

Ignoramus534

I lifted the 24"x8" mag vice onto the grinder last week. That made me wince. In my present state of (un)fitness, I can't lift it above elbow height.

It's about 170lb.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Being old enough that I read lowercase L's as 1's, I was about to declare bravo sierra until I realized 170 vs 1701. :)

Wes

Reply to
Wes

That might require the grinder to be quite well bolted down to avoid it tipping over as the table went from side to side :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Brought it home. The seller did not bother to mention numerous pockmarks from drilling. The table itself, however, functions well and has about 3 minutes backlash and 30 second resolution (with the vernier scale).

I have quite a few tee nuts that fit this table. (3/8" thread)

(Manual%20%26%20Power%20Feed)&OptionFamilyID=179>

Reply to
Ignoramus14053

(Manual%20%26%20Power%20Feed)&OptionFamilyID=179> >

The pock marks make it lighter to pick up... :)

John

Reply to
John

Sometimes this works to your advantage. You don't really mind doing questionable things with it that you wouldn't have the heart to do with a new table.

I've got/inherited a few tools like this and I probably get more use out of them than the new ones. If the price was commensurate with the condition don't fret it.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

I agree, yes. By the way, I was incorrect -- the accuracy is 30 seconds, the resolution is a lot lower.

Yes, I do not feel as though I overpaid too much.

Ignoramus17636

Lower, as in, resolution is LESS seconds than accuracy. The vernier scale is easy to use and has 5 seconds graduation.

Ignoramus17636

Indeed. Dings and pits mean squat in use. Give it a gentle once-over with a nice big flat abrasive stone to get the high spots and put it to use.

Gunner

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Reply to
Gunner

There are no high spots, only low spots.

Gunner, do you think that a chuck with a mounting plate would be the right way to use this table? I think that this table would be perfect to use for making it's own mounting plate.

Ignoramus17636

You won't always use a chuck----some parts don't lend themselves to being held that way. Just make sure that what ever you make to adapt the chuck you intend to use will be self registering, so you don't have to spend time screwing around with the setup.

If the center hole of your table is straight (that's the only thing I accept, I don't like tables with a tapered hole), you can include a short spud on the adapter plate so when you drop the chuck on, it's already concentric with the table. Use a plate that's thick enough to counterbore the SHCS's you'll use to engage the T nuts---so there's no protrusions on the plate once it's mounted. It looks a lot nicer than exposed nuts. I used a piece of 1" aluminum for mine, which works fine.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Yes, it is a straight hole indeed, I called Troyke and asked. I will do as you say, wrt the "spud".

OK, I will look around for a suitable plate.

Ignoramus17636

5' => 5 *minutes*, or a bit better than .010" resolution at the table's diameter.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Ned, I will check again tonight. I think that the table is marked as follows: the 12" diameter scale is graduated in degrees, 0 to 360. The handle is graduated in minutes. Every turn of the handle turns the table by 4 degrees. So on the handle, there are four quadrants, one degree in each quadrant, and every degree has markings for every minute. (60 markings in every quadrant). Then, there is also a vernier scale that is stationary next to the handle, marked for every five seconds. The mark that coincides with the degree marking, gives you the second reading.

I am going by memory and may be mistaken, as I often am.

Ignoramus17636

I just checked, 4 degrees per turn, 5 minutes per graduation direct, 15 seconds on the vernier. So much for *my* memory.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Exactly like my table.

Ignoramus17636

Its one of the ways to use it. A rotary table is of itself the basis for a System that you can do many things with.

Seek out your feminine side and Accessorize!!

Gunner

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Reply to
Gunner

Troyke rotary table? OOOOOOO!!! Good shit Maynard!