Interesting Position ( Calgary)

Found this job posting in the paper,

didn't realize there would be enough interest in African forging to draw in the crowds in order to pay those sorts of wages though!

Reply to
bart

I didn't realize there would be enough interest in African forging to

Well, don't forget that's not US currency .. - GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Looks like it was driven by an acquisition:

"In 1999, a collection of metalworking objects from Africa was acquired by the Museum, in order to continue to preserve the pieces. "

There's a Powerpoint show (about 7M)

The old machinery in the "Museum of Making" itself looks like a real treat to see:

etc. etc.

"In 2001, the Canadian Museum of Making began acquiring machinery and tools that were built and used from 1750 to 1920 in Canada, Britain, and the United States"

"I like machines. I like to see machines run. The rhythmic music they make has always made me feel good. I first experienced this when I worked on the large Ingersol Rand gas engines at the Harmattan Gas Plant in a summer job when I was in University. Any of these slow speed large reciprocating machines make this kind of music, it always makes me feel good when I am around it, sort of primordial."

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

That is so cool! Thanks for the additional info! :-) I'm definately stopping by there next time I'm out to Alberta!

Reply to
bart

bart wrote in news:7kqh71dlk5n9kr9p394batp5l119nus46g@

4ax.com:

It is my understanding that this museum is publicly accesable only on the internet. In person tours are by invitation only. They give no indication of their street address, hours of operation, etc.

Mike

Reply to
Mike S.

Just received as reply from Ian there, it seems visits are by appointment only at this time. I'm sure they'd have a steady supply of visitors if they opened it up to the public, at least during the summer. Anyone look at the 20" lathe & the small center lathe? Wonder what the deal is with the roller chain and belts on the chucks?

bart

Reply to
bart

I thought African forging was all the go in the Web world....all those Nigerian schemes.....

Reply to
Old Nick