daylight savings time

damn, its friggin early......whose idea was this anyway.

wonder how they got thru it with double and triple DST during WWII???

Craig

Reply to
crw59

I feel sorry for those of you that have to buy defective clocks, you know the ones that have to be reset twice a yr. We must have a better quality control line since all the clocks that come into Arizona keep time year around and only need to be reset after the power or batteries go out.

Reply to
n329df

Hmmm, caller ID, 2 VCR's, computer all auto reset. Clocks on 3 radios in cars, kitchen wall clock, stove clock, microwave, 2 TVs, 2 clocks in livingroom, extra clock in office, 2 clocks in den, 3 clocks in 2 bedrooms, 2 watches, answering machine, & backyard clock manual resets. And worst of all, resetting the one in the woodshop! Am I into time or what? Damn, I think I have too many clocks! John

Reply to
John DeBoo

Dunno. But I distinctly remember coming across a report where a Palestine suicide bomber blew himself up and little else because he didn't know about DST and screwed up on the rendezvous time.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

I rather like the HTML, although the msg I sent was text only, no HTML. In the many years I've been doing email etc you are the 3rd person overall to complain about it. The 1st wouldn't say why so I think he simply wanted to whine. The 2nd thought of himself as the Internet police (an Al Gore lover I expect) and was afraid of getting a virus and afraid that 'others' with a dial-up connection may have to wait a long time for the msgs to DL and open

Reply to
John DeBoo
Reply to
Kevin M. Vernon

Q:What's wrong with posting in HTML? Or, I didn't realize I was posting in HTML, how do I turn it off?

A: There are several reasons to not use HTML. Firstly, HTML can carry viruses and worms. The kak worm that was so widespread for awhile never would have gotten off the ground if people didn't use HTML. It's also inconsiderate to people who use text based mail readers, such as Pine. Have you ever tried wading through all those HTML tags to get the gist of a message in a text based mail reader? (Actually, newer versions of both can handle HTML fairly well but it's still a pain.) It also wastes a lot of bandwidth. An HTML message that might be 90k in text will be as much as 300k in HTML. Not everyone has high speed connections and in many places people still pay for each minute they're connected--so you're costing them money, not to mention the extra unnecesary load on the server.

Somtimes, people don't realize that they are posting in HTML (which is the default in many email clients, choosing cosmetics over security and efficiency) In Outlook Express go to tools/options/send. You'll see that there's a box saying HTML. Uncheck it and check plain text. Also, uncheck the box that says reply to messages in the format that they were sent. In Outlook it's in Tools/Options/Mail Format. There's a dropdown textbox that says HTML. Click the little arrow and you'll have the option to select plain text. I haven't found a way to fix the default, however, of replying to messages in the format that they were sent.

In Netscape, the last time I looked, (I haven't used it for awhile--in Linux I use Konqueror as web browser and Sylpheed as my email client) it's under Edit/Preferences/Mail & Newsgroups/Formatting. Move the little dot in front of use HTML editor to Use Plain Text Editor. In Eudora it's under Tools/Options/Styled Text. There's an option to send plain text only.

Sometimes, one does all this and it still comes across as HTML. This is usually due to default settings on a Microsoft Exchange Server. If you can, talk to your Network Administrator--or, if you're the Network Admin, then change it. :)

There's an excellent article about why one should NOT use HTML which can be found here:

Greg Heilers

Works just fine for those of us on second shift schedules. I hated that early darkness thing for the past couple of months. BTW, why is it called Standard Time when we're only on it for 5 months out of 12?

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Greg Heilers wrote

There's a "Reply to messages using the format in which they were sent" check box at the end of the first group of options on the Tools/Options/Send tab, just above the mail sending format options. Can't remember whether it's set by default, though.

Reply to
Rik Shepherd

in article nw34e.2827$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net, Greg Heilers at snipped-for-privacy@earthNOSPAMlink.net wrote on 4/3/05 11:37 PM:

For me, running OE on my Mac, it's under Edit, preferences, compose. Pretty obvious that you should check the text option.

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell

John,

All of this was in the MSG that I responded to:

Attachment decoded: untitled-2.txt

- --------------080904060206080308010302

Digital_Cowboy wrote:

I feel sorry for those of you that have to buy defective clocks, you know the ones that have to be reset twice a yr. We must have a better quality control line since all the clocks that come into Arizona keep time year around and only need to be reset after the power or batteries go out. Hmm, let's see the clock in my computer, NOPE, self-correcting. The clock on my nightstand, NOPE, self-correcting. The clock in my main VCR, NOPE, self-correcting. Clock in the TV set downstairs in the livingroom, just have to go to the menu and select or deselect daylight savings times as needed. The clock in the TV in my bedroom, same as above. That leaves a grand total of 4 clocks/watches that I have to adjust. I think that I can live with that.

Hmmm, caller ID, 2 VCR's, computer all auto reset.  Clocks on 3 radios in cars, kitchen wall clock, stove clock, microwave, 2 TVs, 2 clocks in livingroom, extra clock in office, 2 clocks in den, 3 clocks in

2 bedrooms, 2 watches, answering machine, & backyard clock manual resets.  And worst of all, resetting the one in the woodshop!  Am I into time or what?  Damn, I think I have too many clocks! John

Attachment decoded: untitled-3.htm

- --------------080904060206080308010302--

I counted no less then 9 HTML tags in your msg. As well as your entire msg as well as mine was repeated with HTML formatting at the bottom of your post.

To the best of my knowledge XNews doesn't support HTML formating. As for the crashing I've read that in several different articles. Can't remember right now all of the sources, but I've read it before.

Reply to
Digital_Cowboy

Most amusing, let me fiddle a little here and see what I can do. John

Reply to
John DeBoo

Reply to
John DeBoo