1/48 B-17G Flying Fortress

Quick question for the group:

Which company produces the most accurate model?

Thanks.

Reply to
gleason

Well, unless the oft-rumored Tamiya kit appears (don't hold your breath on this one), you're limited to the Monogram kit. As ementioned elsewhere, sometimes it can be found in the Revell-Germany boxing. Revell also makes a B-17F in 1/48th scale. Eduard makes 3 different etched brass sets for the B-17. IIRC Interior, Exterior and Armament details. Verlinden makes (made?) a really expensive update set for the -G model. And Paragon used to make conversion sets for it, I've got the XB-40 conversion that's on my "someday I'll build this" list.

Don McIntyre Clarksville, TN

Reply to
Don McIntyre

did anyone ever make the model 299 version or the other early versions? I think Academy made a B-17B?

Craig

Reply to
crw59

in article snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net at snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net wrote on 4/4/05 5:57 PM:

Maybe in 1/72, not in 1/48. Back in the early 90's Bill Koster (Koster Aero Enterprises) produced a 1/48 vacuform conversion for the Monogram or Revell B-17 kits. With it one could do a B-17C or D. It also contained parts to backdate the Revell F to an E, as well as a Cheyenne turret and staggered waist gun positions for a late G. I don't know if Bill is still producing the set. I have one which I've never used. It looks to be not for the faint of heart -- the fuselage has to be cut, chopped and grafted to the vacuform replacement. Bill always said it was very straightforward, but he's a master builder!

Pip Moss

I used to feel cheap 'cause I had no signature.

Reply to
Pip Moss

I've seen a completed one. It's very very impressive, and Koster's vac kits are among the best in the business. Try one and become converted : )

Reply to
Jeff C

Thanks for the info!

I did manage to find a dealer that still has the Revell-Germany 4569 Kit on hand.

Will checkout the Eduard and Paragon sites.

Reply to
gleason

Paragon stopped producing sometime ago. I've heard rumors that they may be starting up again, but don't know for sure.

Don McIntyre Clarksville, TN

Reply to
Don McIntyre

This 1/48 B-17G was also released under the ProModeler line. I was wondering what the "distinguishing" features of this kit were. Did it include flattened tires, etc?

Martin

Reply to
centennialofflight

Don:

I understand there is a limited listing of re-constituted Paragon items on Hannant's web site now. Apparently the rumors of a Paragon re-birth are true.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey