Cutty Sark

Quick question for the group:

Which company makes the most accurate Cutty Sark plastic scale model and how many parts are there to the kit??

Thanks.

Reply to
Gleason Sackmann

Don Stauffer

Asuuming you DON'T mean in wood, there is always the old Revell 1/96 kit with it's ejector pin marks and sink holes, still a good kit by modern standards which would lend itself well to some easy upgrades with aftermarket details. Bear in mind that this kit has the later fore deck with the little outhouses (whatever) that was added AFTER it was retired to wherever it's displayed these days. I think a mod back to the original style would be fairly easy. Also, the IMAI kit (1/120) of 20 years ago was VERY nice but hard to find. I also have a UPC (reboxed Bandai) kit from the 60's that is small but nice. The Airfix and MPC (rebox of the Airfix) kits are only so-so, as is the small Revell kit. There is also a 1/350 version out there (Academy?) that is TINY. As to how many parts: a whole bunch. The best way to think while making a ship model is to consider a group of mini-kits, built one at a time, decorated before final assembly. Sort of like a model train layout. It takes time.

-John

Reply to
Pacific95

Greenwich, London.

Reply to
Steve H

Revell also made two "clones" of the 1/96 Cutty Sark -- the Thermopylae and the Pedro Nunes. Between themselves, these are basically the same kit, with the Thermopylae having a hull molded in green and the Nunes in white. The differences with the Cutty Sark are that the Thermopylae/Nunes have external channels/deadeyes, a different quarterdeck arrangement, and one less deckhouse (a hatch cover takes its place).

Reply to
Alexander Arnakis

"Alexander Arnakis" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

But where are these kits valiable now ? Not from Revell at this time, AFAIK. I made the Thermopylae 20 years ago, now I also want to make the Cutty Sark. Eeven on eBay I find it only very rarely ...

In a local model shop I "only" found the three clones built for shop exhibition. It was that place where I saw that they were really clones. Of course, they do not sell them ...

And BTW: Is it just me, or is my impression true that sailship kits are *generally* fading out anywhere ? Luckily I stocked up my private backlog with most of the Airfix Classic ships before they "died".

greetings, Jan

Reply to
Jan Gelbrich

They are snapped right up off of Ebay. I tried on several and failed and then happened to find one in a hobby shop near San Francisco late last year. I think it was last issued in 1996 or so. I want the Imai kits back. They were great. (about 20% smaller than the Revell kit but very nice kits. They also did a Constitution and a side-wheeler with sails of some sort).

-John

Reply to
Pacific95

I just checked eBay, and there are currently three of the Model H-339 up for auction.

"Jan Gelbrich" wrote in news:2mp227Fpcm6qU1 @uni-berlin.de:

Reply to
Gleason Sackmann

The side-wheeler was the Susquehanna, I believe. Very nice kit. I've got one in the pile somewhere that I haven't looked at in years...

Steve H

Pacific95 wrote:

Reply to
snh9728

You won't find the Thermopylae in any stores, only someplace like eBay. The Revell Cutty Sark H-399 1:96 is still around in stores occasionally. Typically sells for around $75US. Can't speak to accuracy but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The one thats still available in many stores is the Revell 1:96 USS COnstitution H-398, same cost.

Grandpa John

Jan Gelbrich wrote:

Reply to
Grandpa