Cutty Sark

It seems that the Cutty Sark is being destroyed in a fire at this very moment. :-(

Enzo Matrix

Bloody cheeky way to save money :-(

-- Chuck Ryan Springfield OH

Reply to
Chuck Ryan

To judge by the news at 7:30 this morning, much of the fire was composed of the roof, staging and work platforms erected for the restoration work. Much of the ship, apart from the hull, has been removed and placed in storage in recent months. Even so, the deck timber is beyond saving and there must now be questions about the iron structure of the hull.

Police say they think it was deliberate.

Gordon McLaughlin

Reply to
Gordon McLaughlin

on 5/21/2007 6:22 AM Gordon McLaughlin said the following:

No, they say it is suspicious. The fire brigade spokesman said it was 'pure speculation' that the cause was suspicious. Wait for what the fire investigators say.

Reply to
willshak

I was actually quoting the news broadcast that I heard. They said that the police believed the fire to be deliberate. As the day has gone on, there will have been more detailed and more considered opinions but I've been at work and haven't heard them.

It will be interesting to hear the fire investigation report which may well reveal a totally different explanation. I hope so.

Gordon McLaughlin

Reply to
Gordon McLaughlin

From what I've heard, the ship isn't completely destroyed but heavily damaged...setting back the restoration effort in progress even further.

A spokesman said that they will continue and retore the ship, but if they do find that someone set the fire deliberately I hope they hang them from the highest yard arm once the ship is refit.

Reply to
Rufus

Watch them blame Jack Sparrow for the fire

Reply to
Count DeMoney

Just as soon as they get done blaming George Bush, Global Warming & Americans in general. *smirk*

-Kevin in Indy To reply, remove (+spamproof+) from address........

Reply to
Kevin M. Vernon

"Enzo Matrix" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Hmmm... does that mean I should scorch the model I'm halfway through building, to make it more 'authentic'?

cd

Reply to
Carl Dershem

It's a vast right wing conspiracy to stimulate the lumber industry.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

who stold my bongos? did you steal my bongos? who likked jfk? we have proof was the cia. who killed rfk? we have proff was the cia. who killed john lennon? mark chapman killed john lennon. who stold my bongos? did you steal my bongos?

-the higsons

getting high at midnight listening to the higsons

-robyn hitchcock

robyn hitchcock can't sing, he's just a sad little man

-mark riley

mark riley beats his mother and is always flat

-robyn hitchcock

Reply to
someone

...one night in November and I thought I heard them singing said "I gotta let this hen out and give this hen some eyeballs pecking at the life boats I'm running out of living" Won't you see, for me...

My wife and my dead wife Am I the only one that sees her? My wife and my dead wife Doesn't anybody see her at all?

Reply to
Rufus

sh said robyn, you know i don't take sugar.

after 20 years of disowning the soft boys, dear robyn is back on the road with them. and the show they are doing are amazing. includes the dead wife song and i wanna destroy you.

Reply to
someone

Okay. Assuming it is possible to repair the damage will the ship now be a "restoration" or a "reconstruction" i.e.: hardly any of the original ship left?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

on 5/22/2007 3:46 PM kim said the following:

We haven't heard what the actual damage was, but everything above the main deck was taken off for the restoration before the fire. What happened below decks is still unknown, to us, that is. Does this mean no more Cutty Sark Scotch? :-)

Reply to
willshak