Harrier crash video

Any one know where this happened? Steve

Steve Jahn

Tony Cann/Mann or something like that, 20 reserve sqn

Norfolk , Lowestoft.last year or year before..make that year before me thinks. he was the pilot at Waddington same year cos i got a signed print

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

Following the thread:

Rufus

Anybody read some of the comments below the video? My god, what a bunch of ignorant twits.

Reply to
Jim Atkins

INCREDIBLE!!! I couldn't believe the comments coming from most of the people! The comments were far scarier than the crash itself!!!

I have to quote James Burke's (author and creator of the "Connections" PBS series) spin on a Winston Churchill speech:

"Never before have so many, known so little, about so much"

Martin

Reply to
Martin

I seem to recall this happened abou 3-4 years ago at a seafront airshow in england. The pilot landed slap bang on top of the harrier and broke his ankle! Gary

Reply to
Gary Warwick
2 yra ago

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

Pilot error according to Air Accident Report (Stick/seat interface)

Troffa

Reply to
Mark Wilson

"Flight Lieutenant Cann, who is now flying again and based at RAF Cottismore, is said to have received advice following the loss of the plane in August 2003."

I wonder how loudly and ferociously that 'advice' was given? ;-)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Pedley

...do that in the USN and say bye bye to those wings...! -JD

Reply to
Jrdme109

...hmmnn...having played around with in USMC Harrier sim on occasion, this sounds a bit fishy to me...

Reply to
Rufus

Depends - I know a Marine that's jumped out of every type jet he's ever flown except Hornets (last I checked...) and he retired as a LtCol.

Reply to
Rufus

IIRC RAF tried to sweep it under the table and shift blame. memory is shot so i cant remember the more specifics.

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

I could believe that - as I remember, it's about impossible to grab the nozzle lever and the throttle at the same time without taking your hand off the stick. Not to mention that there is a movable stop for Short Takeoff (the STO stop) to set the nozzles rapidly to a determined position. It's part of the landing checklist to insure it's clear.

If you did move two together, you'd be closing the throttle and dropping the nozzles at the same time, or moving the nozzles aft and opening the throttle which would certainly keep you flying. You have to move them in opposite directions to enter the hover.

Reply to
Rufus

Deadly Pedly

You at Telford next Sat?

remember meeting up with u 2 years ago.

I have a lift this year, was too ill and too far to drive last year but got a newbie going for the first tome so got a lift.

Reply to
Jules