Is HF buffer any good

HF buffer is now on sale for $49

I was going to buy a 1/3 Balder buffer but at $49 HF buffer might worth trying. Does any one tried HF buffers? How does it compared to Balder for example? Is it really that much difference between them?

Thanks, Alex

Reply to
Alex

Did you read the book, or see the movie of Stephen King's "Pet Sematary"? Well, imagine you took a dead Baldor buffer and buried it in the old Indian burial ground. Next day, you'd have an HF buffer. It would look about the same, but *something* would just not be "right".

Sorry, it just popped into my head and I could not resist ;)

Rex

Reply to
Rex B

I've had one of the HF buffers for a few years. It's really not bad at all, just not excellent like the Baldor stuff is. The left-hand arbor comes with a GWOUH (Grinding Wheel Of Undisclosed Heritage, pronounced "G-Woo"). Call me a coward, but I won't even spin up one of those to test, I just throw them away. I put a wire brush wheel on that side, which I've really gotten a lot of use out of. The tool rest that comes with it is quite flimsy, and the plastic eye-guard didn't cost a lot either.

If you want to buff and maybe do some wire-brushing, it's hard to beat for $49. For grinding purposes, though, it lacks a sufficient stout tool rest, eye guard, and dust discharge port.

HF stuff is great in the right context, but to paraphrase Mr. Eastwood: "A man's gotta know his tools' limitations."

Dave

Reply to
LowEnergyParticle

I don't have one, but if I were buying one, I would assume:

- it's probably usable as is, but not very smooth (vibration)

- it could be made to be very nice and smooth with new bearings and balancing

- unless the shaft(s) are bent (easily checked and reason for return)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Keep in mind that if the unit fails, you can always cut out the windings, place a pulley on the shaft and drive it with a motor and belt from down below. You would spend more than $49 on a pair of pillow blocks and a shaft.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

I have a Chinese 2 HP buffer, not from HF but I bet it's from the same factory though mine is green rather than orange. No complaints, twerks fer me. Can't compare it to a Baldor because I've never used one.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I bought one of these about a year ago.

The right side housing was not bolted down tight, so I tightened it. Now that side runs hot. That bearing won't last long.

On cold days (

Reply to
Sean

Ah! That's the Achilles' heel. Not much you can do about it and you don't want to try to live with it - it would be too frustrating. Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Sounds to me like you got a bad one. Now that I think about it, my HF 8" bench grinder was that way at first. It eventually got over it, and now runs very powerfully. In fact, sometimes I wish it was a little less so. Like when the wire wheel slings that special part all the way across the shop and under the dirties bench - the one without casters.

Reply to
Rex B

I've got that exact buffer and it works great. I can't tell the difference between it and a Balder, and I've used both.

John P.

John P.

Dave,

I believe you're referring to the Grinder / Buffer which is a different machine:

I also have one of those and did as you did, replaced the grinder for a wire brush.

With this machine beside the buffer you can have three different buffing wheels, one for fine grit, one medium and one rough.

Works really well for a fraction of the cost of Baldors.

John P.

John P.