metal finish

I just got back from a trip. We bought some antiques, and some small
pieces.
One of them is a cast iron letter slot with flap. It is rusty, but only
surface rust. I want to clean it up a little, and then seal it.
I saw lots of old ferrous items for sale that looked like they had been
buffed and waxed.
What sort of finishes are applied to get things to look like that?
As well as what can I use on things that come out of a forge that I have
either bent, spun, or worked to coat them? I want them to look glossy, and
to stop rust.
TIA
Steve
Reply to