Is it safe to use a propane torch with map gases?

I'm working on pinhole leak on a brass Chevy radiator. I have a propane
torch and a bottle of map gas. The torch fits right onto the bottle and
seems to work just fine. Is it safe to use a propane torch on a bottle
of map gas?
Thanks
Reply to
Tim Zimmerman
I've done soldering with a propane torch and MAPP without any bad results.. you don't get as much heat from it as you would if the MAPP were used with a torch intended for MAPP. A MAPP flame could be/probably is excessive for a radiator repair.
The typical pinpoint flame from a propane torch isn't ideal for radiator soldering though. The flame can be softened/feathered (cooler flame) by forming a sleeve to partially cover the air holes. I made one from sheetmetal that was rolled to a diameter slightly smaller than the propane torch so it would stay in place, and had a long tab hanging out for a cooler place to manipulate the sleeve.
WB .............
Reply to
Wild Bill
propane
bottle
It probably isn't going to hurt, but you won't get the temperature that a MAPP-only or MAPP/propane burner will reach. If your torch was made in the last few years, it might be a MAPP/propane unit. If it's one of the old '50s-style Bernzomatics, dump it and get another heat source. The newer style "turbo" units are head and shoulders above those old torch heads, even with propane.
Usually direct flame ISN'T the way to do soldering on a project as you describe, an old-style soldering copper works better. If you don't have one of those, one of those clamp-on soldering tips will work. You want pinpoint heat, not something that's going to heat up the whole radiator and maybe loosen some joints.
Stan
Reply to
stans4
UC Berkeley is best known for two things married to three letter acronyms so he gets a pass-- BSD and LSD
Rob (U of I) a long,long, time ago....
Reply to
RDF
This advice sounds like why I use a very small OA torch for some pewter work I do and whenever I have to do soft soldering of brass/copper requiring close control, it give concentrated heat allowing subtle control when you are use to it rather than any propane torch which has lower heat input and heats a greater area reducing control.
snipped-for-privacy@prolynx.com wrote:
Reply to
David Billington
wrote in message
Turns out that all I need is a simple hand-held butane pencil torch and a 50-watt soldering iron.
Absolutely right about the excessive heat from the MAPP/propane unit. I can almost literally see my radiator go up in smoke. Not only that, the solder refuses to cling onto the vertical surface even after sanding and applying some cleaners.
Thanks
Reply to
Tim Zimmerman
In a word Yes. Torches like that are a bit tricky. Do you only have a single gas input - e.g. you have a plumbing propane torch - The MAPP might be a bit to smoky as it normally wants oxygen blend to burn very hot. They make two gas torches - oxygen and propane or oxygen and MAPP. That is the best rig for this.
Martin [who has such a rig and does it both ways as needed ]
Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn
On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 00:55:39 GMT, the inscrutable "Tim Zimmerman" spake:
Did you preheat with the iron and solder with the torch?
Got neutralizers and flux? ;)
---------------------------------- VIRTUE...is its own punishment
Reply to
Larry Jaques
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
Nope. The pencil torch is used to pre heat the surface. Then the 50-watt soldering iron is used to collect the radiator solder core and then applied to the preheated surface. This turns out to be successful, unlike my other method below.
I use liquid flux. But in order for the surface to melt the pretty high- temperature solder core, I nearly had to burn down the radiator before the solder will flow onto the vertical surface. Each time I applied the solder (with a little silver) it'll crumble and fall apart.
Reply to
Tim Zimmerman

Site Timeline