Is my old Delta Grinder Shaft Fixable?

I own an older Delta Grinder that I bought at a garage sale some time ago for $5.00. I can't find a model number, but there is a serial number plate on the back that reads "16-204". It uses 7" x 5/8" bore wheels. Currently I can only use one wheel because the shaft on the left side is buggered up. But for $5 it is still worth it. The threads appear to be 5/8" acme type - left hand. There are hardly any thread left for the nut to grab a hold of. My question is, is there some way to build it back up and re thread it safely and at reasonable cost? I looked at the McMaster web site and can't find a listing for a acme thread die. MSC lists acme taps but not dies.

Thanks again to all those who so willingly give of their knowledge on this NG. I appreciate it very much.

Lane

Reply to
Lane

Lane,

I know of no way to build the shaft back up economically. Is the entire shaft eaten up? Or can you use a wider or narrower stone/washer combination that would use good threads? It may be ideal for a wire wheel.

DanG

Why does it need to be big ? Make it 9/16 or 1/2 acme or any thread for that matter just be sure it clamps the wheel before bottoming the thread.

Reply to
kit

One of the major metalworking mags (HSM, MW ..) very recently had an article on building up worn/munged shafts. I think that guy would suggest that you strip down the shaft, weld up the worn threads, turn it round again, and then screwcut the desired threads on a lathe. - GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

That's a Delta part number. Call Delta (1-800-GO-DELTA IIRC) and see if they have the part you're looking for. Sounds like it will cost lots if they have it, but you might get lucky.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

Turn and bore a sleeve, and thread the other end. Secure it with a couple setscrews. You will have a longer shaft on that side of course so your guards will not fit. A perfect place to put that wire wheel that you dont want guards for anyways.

Gunner

"The French are a smallish, monkey-looking bunch and not dressed any better, on average, than the citizens of Baltimore. True, you can sit outside in Paris and drink little cups of coffee, but why this is more stylish than sitting inside and drinking large glasses of whiskey I don't know." -- P.J O'Rourke (1989)

Gunner

Huh, now that is an idea. Some wire wheels have a very narrow bore. I'll check it out. Thanks for the idea.

Reply to
Lane

Good idea. If DansG's suggestion doesn't work out I think I'll try this one.

Thanks

Reply to
Lane