Is this forklift worth it?

I saw it. It starts right away and seems to function just fine. 10k capacity. 48" forks.

The age is 30 years old (1981).

Ignoramus25480

Condition is EVERYTHING. Any major repair is more than the value of the lift. Parts are VERY expensive. They can be VERY hard to work on.

For example, my hyster clutch is weak. I got a quote of $2800 to repair. And i know it would go $500 over when the bill came. So, drive till dies; get another.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Are some brands better with parts support?

I am thinking, I should wait some more. A forklift is not needed that urgently, as I can move big stuff with my OTC crane.

This is a weird place, a yard used by some MExicans to resell old American equipment to South America. Lathes etc are sitting covered by tarps and rusting.

Ignoramus25480

if at all possible, I buy stuff like this based on the other variables. For example, I bought my backhoe at Marv A.'s auction. He got the alzheimer's, before that he was well known for impeccable care of everything he owned. I could have got the same hoe at a consignment auction for a thousand less.

In other works, look around and assess how carefully it was used and maintained. Also, assess the chances somebody is unloading their hidden problem.

A forklift is one of those things you'll wonder how you ever lived without it. I take my forklift TO the auction and load my own stuff.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Karl, it actually looks great. The exhaust manifold is not very rusty, I could not see any leaks underneath, and the gas engine looks pretty decent. I spent good 5 minutes looking at the insides before the seller showed up.

Ignoramus25480

I would pass on it, unless you're ONLY looking to run it in a wharehouse environment and on good thick concrete.

Otherwise, I would suggest the "rough terrain" style which have large dia dual pneumatic tires up front...

--Champ and Gillig brands immediately come to my mind but there are others.

PrecisionmachinisT

They take way too much room and usually are diesel powered.

Ignoramus25480

Can't tell from the picture, does it have automatic transmission? Yes is a plus.

Does it have side shift on the forks? Yes is a plus.

Is it propane fuel? Yes is a plus.

Are forks short or long? You may need long forks for some equipment.

Is there a rack behind the forks to keep things from being pushed off the back of a pallet?

Can the forks be moved closer or further apart? Most can.

Should be an hour meter on the machine. If not it may have been removed for a reason.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

There is a hour meter, it reads 4300 hours. What I do not know is whether it means 4300 or 14300 or 24300. The insides do look like

4300, such as the exhaust manifold not badly rusted.

No side shift. Forks are 48" (short) moveable.

Ignoramus25480

The ad says OBO, wait a while and make an offer. $3800 seems a little high to me. Maybe a newer fork lift with side shift will show up. I used to deal with chicago lift trucks to do most of my repairs, good guys at reasonable prices. Maybe give them a call and see if they have any used fork lifts for sale. They should be in the chicago yellow pages.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

Just a word of warning Iggy, many forklifts do not have the side shift option because inexperienced operators have been known to tip forklifts over using that feature improperly.

Reply to
Pete C.

Hey iggy,

It's probably worth close to that in scrap value, so don't delay...grab it.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

UNLESS YOU CAN GET ONE FOR $500 OF COURSE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian Lawson

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Got mine for free! Stored it for free and use if I needed it, for three years. Belonged to a cabinet shop in the next suite. When he left, he left me the forklift and a full tank of propane. Good unit, but old.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn