IT WORKED!

I had to build up with weld the inside of a 1.125 bore because it was off location about 1/8" in two directions. So I needed to put metal in
1/2 the hole so I could rebore the hole on the proper location. The hole is about 4 inches long and goes clean through the part so I could weld from both sides. I tried TIG but just couldn't weld very deep. Couldn't get the torch is far enough. I do have a little Lincoln SP125+ welder but the part is aluminum and the little welder isn't really man enough to weld thick aluminum. So I tried pre-heating the casting up to about 400 degrees and I was able to get sound welds. But I still had problems getting deep into the hole. So I took the contact tip off the torch, put it in the vise, and bent it with a hammer and an aluminum punch. Then I ran some titanium welding wire coated with Timesaver lapping compound and oil through the contact tip back and forth to smooth out the inside where it had collapsed a bit from the bending operation. Now the wire comes out of the contact tip and curls down so I was able to weld very deep into the hole. I know, a little welder, pushing aluminum wire (barely), through a bent contact tip, is really pushing the envelope. But I got 'er done dammit! Now I get to have a beer while the casting cools. Tomorrow I rebore. Later, Eric
On Friday, March 20, 2015 at 6:59:33 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:

Have two beers. You've earned them. Well done.
On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 16:05:45 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:

Cool, and a hearty "Well Done, Suh."
P.S: Do you have another contact tip so you can still use the steel wire next time, I hope? You'll want to leave that one as-is, for the next time you Mick^H^H^H^Hinnovate a new tool.
--
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to
succeed is more important than any one thing.

I have several contact tips of different sizes for both steel and aluminum wire. Eric
snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com prodded the keyboard with:

Why didn't you just turn a plug, press it in and then re-drill the hole.
--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Why bother? What's an eighth of an inch, among friends? :/
--
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to
succeed is more important than any one thing.

Because of the way the part is made there wasn't room for that option. There is part of the casting that protrudes from the bottom and the hole was so far out that it actually started to break through in one place. Furthermore, if I was to open the hole enough for a sleeve to have sufficient wall thickness it would have cut into another area that was not damaged. The customer agreed that in this case welding was best. Eric
snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com on Sat, 21 Mar 2015 13:48:17 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    Well, dang - there was a rational reason for doing it that way after all!
    Have fun. -- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although more often, Age travels alone."
snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com prodded the keyboard with:

That is a very good reason :-) Thanks
--
Best Regards: