J33 to MT2 Adapter - Strange One

Someone just handed me an adapter to go from Jacobs #33 to Morse Taper #2... The adapter is female on both ends.

But... He doesn't have any more and doesn't have a clue where he got it. Anyone out there know where I can but such an animal?

This would allow me to use MT2 tooling on my standard J33 spindle nose machines... If runout wasn't all that big of a concern that is... I can't see going that "long" and still having great runout numbers.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022 (908) 542-0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:

Spindle Drills:
V8013-R

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Some Delta drill presses use that type of adapter for MT tooling. It's probably only older models but I don't know for sure. They have a male JT33 spindle nose that's also threaded around the outside. As a chuck or adapter is screwed on it tightens onto the JT33 taper. They made several different adapters that fit onto that including one like you mentioned with a female JT33 at the top with a threaded flange around it and female MT2 on the other end.

There's a picture in the manual I downloaded for my drill press. I was going to give you a link for the manual so you could see it but they no longer have them readily available online. Now you have to register and get a username and password.

If you're interested email me and I'll send it to you as an attachment. It's about 1.3 MB.

The part number for the sleeve is 15-833 but the picture I found on one site for that part number is not the same, although the description seemed right.

They may not work for you though because the threaded flange around the Jacobs taper may get in the way.

Another option might be to make one out of this:

You would just need to cut the JT33 in one end, assuming it's long enough.

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

If possible, I'd love to take a look at that attachment.

My e-mail will be down for a few hours, but it should be working (not bouncing) later this afternoon.

bob AT youthelate DOT com

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

I've got one of those. 4-7/8" long, crosswise round hole at end of Jacobs taper to help remove it, slot for wedge to remove Morse tooling. Unlike another reply, though, it was not meant for one of the Jacobs tapers with a locking collar. It does have a heavy rim at the Jacobs end, but I'm guessing that was just for removal wedges.

No markings on it. My guess is that it's fifty years old or older, and most likely Delta or Atlas, possibly one of the other makers.

Like you, I'd be a bit leery of runout with that long adapter mounted on a Jacobs taper. Think I'd change to Morse taper spindles if I really wanted to be able to use Morse taper tooling.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

Want to sell it?

We hope to be able to have MT spindles in the next 12 months or so... But not on our present machine. It is simply too large of an OD for us to use effectively inside our current design.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022 (908) 542-0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:

Spindle Drills:
V8013-R

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Thanks for the offer, Joe, but I want to hold on to it.

John

Reply to
John Martin

Well, know that there is one semi-jeaous guy at this end of the internet. :)

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill