Japan Robotics Problem

How hard and fast could an excavator be hooked up for remote control
with a fire hose in Japan? 10 hours? I'd put redundant cameras on the
arm.
SW
Reply to
Sunworshipper
I'd think more like 2 days, since gathering the components would take some time. I'd also say that some time would need to be spent wrapping lead shielding around the electronics since most off the shelf components that would be available would not be radiation hardened. It would certainly be feasible, but they also need to be sure that such a hacked together machine would not be at risk of loosing it's remote control and plowing unguided through the reactor causing greater problems.
Reply to
Pete C.
Probably even more, since they just had an 8.9 magnitude earthquake there plus a 30-foot tsunami.
They're probably focusing more on getting clean water and food to the people who were displaced.
Thanks, Rich
Reply to
Rich Grise
The earthquake was upgraded to 9.0. At any rate they have plenty of people and certainly have enough people focused on this particular problem.
Reply to
Pete C.
At least 4 days if you buy all parts on ebay.
Ignoramus32087
They probably have these, we do, too. They are used in steel mills for cleanup work near the furnaces. They usually have short-range radio controls, but that could probably be fixed in short order.
Jon
Reply to
Jon Elson
Looks like they better also start wiring up Schwing concrete pumping trucks. Just keep pumping till the trucks choke on concrete and they will have a number of concrete pyramids with booms hung over them.
I'd hard wire them, no need to back up.
I still say to build these things in a 200 foot hole, that way when they are toast they can just fill it in.
SW
Reply to
Sunworshipper
No need for radiation hardening, this is for electronics subjected to EMP (electro magnetic pulse) as the result of a NUC bomb detonation. Not radiation of isotope emissions. Could be a big problem with Neutrons, depending on the age of electronics, but lead does not stop these effectively, believe it or not Styrofoam does a better job of shielding neutrons. Neutrons are a real problem with today's digital circuitry because of very small nanometer technology. It's a real problem with aircraft today, high flying and over the poles worst place to fly. Upsets do occur.
Reply to
ignator
Ha!
Reply to