More japan info

Well got a longer note from the BIL last night. I asked him how the solar and wind units made it through the quake and tsunami.

The roof mounted solars did OK as long as the building handled the damage. The ones mounted on poles mostly went down due to the motion. The wind units in the southern areas seem to be OK but the ones up north are all gone, most of them just fell over during the quake I guess.

He also told me that Japan uses a weird power grid. The eastern half uses a 60 hz grid frequency while the western side uses 50 hz power. That is one of the items causing problems now. They cannot just shunt power from one side to the other.

He said that so far Tokyo has had some blackouts but that they have been short duration and his place near Chiba hasn't been out for more than 10 minutes.

Reply to
Steve W.

A caller to the Alex Jones show has just related some details of what sound like radiation poisoning occurring to some friends of his in Chiba.

listen here:

Dave

Reply to
dav1936531

Feast your lying eyes on this

Street-Level Video Footage of a Japanese Town Washing Away

Mikie

Yeah, good luck with that!

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

My BIL is 124 US Miles away from the closest one and he hasn't heard of anyone having problems.

he did say that there have been a few fake warning texts and even a few tourists who were complaining that they had been exposed (only problem is that they were no where in the area and two were not even on the main island!!!

Reply to
Steve W.

Most horrifying. But what does this have to do with reports of radiation sickness?

Reply to
rangerssuck

The doctor Jones was interviewing at the exact time of the call indicated, based upon the symptomology described by the caller, that it was radiation sickness. Just reporting the incident. I don't doubt it. This is an accident that will pan out to be much worse then Chernobyl. The caller was in direct contact with his friends in Chiba, whom he was working closely with to form a martial arts dojo business prior to the quake. In a few days, we'll know for sure about how radiation sickness is affecting the Japanese.

Chiba is about 150 miles south/southwest of the Fukushima reactor complex. It's about 20 miles east of Tokyo. Dave

Reply to
dav1936531

That's also a possibility. Also a distinct possibility is that this accident has released untold amounts of gamma ray emitters into the atmosphere.

The fact that the reactor grounds have been vacated indicates that is the case.

We need to stop kidding ourselves. This is going to make Chernobyl look like some kids playing with matches. There are going to be huge numbers of radiation casualties. Dave

Reply to
dav1936531

========== Problem is that unless radiation contamination can be verified with a detector, early radiation symptoms (unless a massive overdose) are similar to stomach flu, food poisoning, and several other common disorders including psychosomatic.

Given the total upheaval and destruction of the sewage systems, wide distribution of debris, dead animals and people, lack of potable water, lack of food, poor living conditions, extreme emotional stress because of loss of family, relatives friends, homes, possessions, etc., it is to be expected that the majority of people will exhibit the symptoms of nausea, vomiting, headache, fever, and diarrhea, but due to causes other than radiation exposure.

-- Unka George (George McDuffee) .............................. The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there. L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author. The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

It can't. Chernobyl was an RBMK-1000 reactor, an absolutely IMMENSE Plutonium production reactor, identical to the ones originally built for the Soviet weapons production program. A graphite pile, fast breeder reactor with heavy water cooling. Practically the entire reactor was blown apart by a massive steam explosion. The size of this reactor is almost impossible to comprehend, the pile was literally the size of a football stadium!

The core of a typical ~1 GWE power reactor is MUCH smaller, roughly the size of a bedroom with a high ceiling. By packing the core closer together, you don't need anywhere as much fuel to create the critical mass.

Since Japan recycles its fuel, they don't leave spent fuel sitting in pools for the life of the reactor, like is the case at many locations in the US.

So, the amount of fuel at the reactor site is a LOT less than at Chernobyl. While this is already a major catastrophe, I think there are real reasons it CANNOT reach the level of Chernobyl. It COULD still get a lot worse, but it at least seems that they may have it under the slightest margin of control so that it is not getting worse right now (last I checked).

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

There are 3,400 tons of fuel in seven spent fuel pools within the six-reactor plant, including one joint pool storing very old fuel from units

3 and 4. There are 877 tons in five of the reactor cores. Officials have said that the fuel in Unit 4's reactor vessel was transferred to its spent fuel pool when the unit was temporarily shut in November.
Reply to
John R. Carroll

Thanks, Jon. Good info.

But if I may?

The biggest difference between Chernobyl and Japan is geography, not technology.

It's hard, even for a moderately egotistical Texan, to comprehend the raw size of the old USSR - or how sparsely populated that area was (even BEFORE the event).

Japan? Where can they evacuate too?

Korea is closer than the nearest village in the Ukraine was. But somehow, I don't see much "humanitarian aid" coming from that quarter...

Just saying...

Reply to
CaveLamb

Yeah, no kidding, this is a BIG problem. Apparently, the Sendai area is fairly sparsely populated, for Japan - VERY lucky! On the other hand, this is a BIG agricultural area, and they are just beginning to see the contamination of agricultural products. That part is going to get MUCH worse in the next couple weeks.

Koreans and Chinese won't really forgive the Japanese for WW-II for another dozen generations, or more.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Wouldn't it be a World-class Humanitarian gesture for (south) Korea to say, "Hey, we're not the type of people who hold s grudge, come and stay with us for awhile, because we're such good people?"

But who can understand the workings of the Asian mind?

Cheers! RIch

Reply to
Rich Grise