Just the facts thread hijack

Look at the national debt in just the last two terms of the President! > Out of control in spending.

What do you mean "out of control"? What would you cut?

-- Ed Huntress

Just so I don't have to scroll through to follow my questions.

National debt:

I don't think it's a matter of cutting. Just follow the many of the industrial rules for suppliers. Costs not to exceed the rate of inflation. Refuse to pay more than inflation rate for government supplies/expenses.

I will give some examples, but I know there are extenuating circumstances, which I will question following the example.

How much per capita on Medicare/Medicaid is spent per year?

Ditto primary schooling.

Ditto road maintenance.

Ditto government political expenses. (salaries, aides' salaries, expense accounts)

Ditto defense suppliers.

Also, where can I find this information? (Same for the below)

Year by year, adjusted if possible.

Okay, circumstances:

Increases in the number of people receiving the service will affect the total amount needed.

Decrease in the amount of tax dollars collected.

(interesting to find out the median ACTUAL percentage of GROSS INCOME paid by people in different tax brackets. (and number of people in each bracket) Up or down since say, the '80's)

Money taken out of the economy and not replaced. (or taxed) i.e.:

Money sent out of the country to family members in other countries. (how much?)

Deposited in foreign banks.

Illegal drug trade.

Lots of questions, not enough time to research.

Is this reliable?

Maybe someone here can guide/narrow my search efforts, so I will actually do it, instead of giving up. I'm sure I will have more questions, Pandora's box you know.

Reply to
Steve Walker

All over the place. You're looking for data that's collected by a variety of entities for a variety of purposes. Digging those out is hard work. I'd want to get paid for it. d8-)

IRS. But that's vicious data to work with -- I've done it. Somebody (I think it was Joe) noted that the St. Louis Fed site now has quartile data, at least for the first three quartiles. The Fed data is very easy to work with. You can make graphs with it in an instant, right at their site.

It does take some practice. I've been using it frequently for a few years now.

Percentage-wise, not much.

That's the truth.

Their number for national debt is widely quoted, but I've never seen that whole page. Checking them might take a few hundred hours.

By far the best source is the St. Louis Fed. ("FRED". Google "FED FRED" without the quotes)

It won't answer all of your questions, but it will go a long way. Some of your other questions are answered by the breakdowns of federal expenditures. Watch out for reports on the "federal budget." They're generally hash, because there is no real federal budget.

If you get into it, remember to come up for air...

Reply to
Ed Huntress

on the surface, the junkets. The 100+ country ticket punching State department. And President ?

Excessive trip spending and giving money away.

Excessive vacations. Taking 5 or 6 planes !

And the list goes on. Why is the curve exponential for Obama ? Above the law and doesn't know the constitution or State Department protocol.

That is the short list.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn