"Kero-tran" as cutting oil

I occasionally use a 50/50 mixture of kerosene and transmission fluid. Maybe I don't have exough experience with it to know the difference but AFAICT it is no better, no worse, than any other petroleum-based cutting oil. Comments from the group, please.

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

I don't have exough

worse, than any other

ATF is apparently kerosine with a few additives.

jw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Seems very unlikely. How did you arrive at that conclusion from the MSDS?

Reply to
Ned Simmons

I have the same question.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

OK, light oil. There's no sharp dividing line.

jw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

don't have exough

than any other

I would suggest that for light alloy and possibly yellow metals, it might work similarly to the commercial stuff. For hard work on carbon and alloy steels, I would suspect that the lack of chlorine or sulphur in the oil would cause it to perform poorly, compared with a conventional neat oil.

It'll wash the chips away as well as anything else though.

YMMV Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

ATF seems to be an all-purpose elixer with this group, and it always makes me uncomfortable for a couple of reasons. One is that there is no common characteristic among today's ATFs -- they're very different formulations. The other is that, while the base oil is a fairly innocuous, purified mineral oil (except for the synthetic ATFs), it has more crap in it for specialized purposes than you could shake a dipstick at.

I doubt if anyone using it for cutting oil knows what he's doing, especially because cutting temperatures are 'way above the intended operating temperatures of the stuff. I also suspect that drugstore mineral oil would work as well -- which is to say, not particularly well at all, compared to the formulations made for the purpose.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

That's kind of thin viscosity for cuttting, it won't provide much film thickness. Light oil will vaporize at the cutting point, making for not much lubrication.

Kero has a low flashpoint, so if you generate enough hot blue curly chips, or a spark, you might set your lathe on fire.

Reply to
Tony

It's a 5 weight oil with a heavy detergent and anti-foaming package.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Right - but when something vaporizes it absorbs heat.

So maybe the cutting edge isn't in trouble, just the lathe when the hot chips hit a puddle.

Martin

Mart> That's kind of thin viscosity for cuttting, it won't provide much film

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

1,1,1-trichloroethane makes ATF look like honey, and there's precious little that has ever equaled it for machining steels.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Dual Action Plus 1 with trichloroethylene is still available. One small drop on each flute makes a 3/4-10 tap cut steel easily.

jw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Is that what was in the older formulation of "tap magic"? The stuff I get now a days smells different and sure doesn't work as good.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Jim Wilkins wrote: ...

That would be 1,1,2-trichloroethylene, I imagine. 1,1,1- has been banned since '95 (?). How does 1,1,2- compare to 1,1,1- as a cutting fluid?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Yes, that's the "magic" component.

I was trained in the shop in the late 50's. They used to dump

1,1,1-trichloroethane in the sumps of the turret lathes by the gallon, along with oil. Imagine that today!

Jim Wilkins mentioned the use of trichloroethylene------which may be in error. That stuff was used in vapor degreasers as I recall-----but then I'm no chemist so I may have it wrong. Jim?

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Yes, that's the "magic" component.

I was trained in the shop in the late 50's. They used to dump

1,1,1-trichloroethane in the sumps of the turret lathes by the gallon, along with oil. Imagine that today!

Jim Wilkins mentioned the use of trichloroethylene------which may be in error. That stuff was used in vapor degreasers as I recall-----but then I'm no chemist so I may have it wrong. Jim?

Harold

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Oops - brain fart! He said "trichloroethylene" I read "trichloroethane". Never mind.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Harold sez:

I was trained in the shop in the late 50's. They used to dump

1,1,1-trichloroethane in the sumps of the turret lathes by the gallon, along with oil. Imagine that today!

Yeah, imagine that - on 1 hand the 1,1,1-trichloroethane will kill me and one the other, kero-tran will set my lathe, and me, on fire. What's mother to do ??

Bob Swinney >G<

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Reply to