Kitchen floor question

Going to ask the collective wisdom, (and I'm sure, wit) of the group. I am redoing the kitchen floor. Underlayment is solid, no squeaks, etc. Removing the stick on tiles with heat, so as not to delaminate the underlayment. Tried to pull a small section of the underlayment that did delaminate when pulling a tile without heat. It was stuck to the sub-floor very well, due to very old felt/tar-paper underneath it. Therefore pulling the underlayment and replacing is a no go. The problem is the tile stickum is leaving very sticky residue on the underlayment. Nice and even. If I was going to replace with the same, no problem. But, I'm putting a floating floor down, and want it not to stick. Need some creative, ridiculous or anything in between, solutions. Metalworking content; wife says I get to buy more mill tooling if I get the floor complete this weekend.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Go grab some builders paper (thick paper like old paper bags were made from). Lay that out and roll it to stick it to the glue nice and smooth. Install your floor. The paper will prevent the glue from bonding to the floating floor. Did that on a floor a few years ago.

Reply to
Steve W.

Lay a layer of 15 lb felt over it - not enough tar in it to be sticky . Does your new flooring use a foam layer under the flooring ? For that matter , why are you pulling the existing tiles ? Might be easier all the way around to just lay over 'em .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

It seems to me that the floating floor makes it really easy. Just a layer of anything that will cover the sticky. Rosin paper would probably be my first choice. Polyethylene sheet?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Unless the tile is damaged, or there are any visible joints or texture that might telegraph through the new flooring.

Reply to
clare

I was thinking about that laminate stuff , I guess a lot of the new vinyl flooring products are also designed to float . I haven't really kept up with the new products , got out of the flooring business in the late 80's because of back problems .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Why pull anything up? Most floating floors have foam pad underlayment between the old floor and new floater, so it should be no big deal. Now that you have an stickiness, just stick the foam to it and let the floor float as it's designed. I don't feel that you have a problem. I'd have left the old flooring down, too, rather than attempt pulling it. Well, unless you had a deep burn somewhere or something.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

We have a solid vinyl sheet floor in the kitchen installed in 1989 - full floating edge gluedeen excellent- just need to be carefull moving fridge and stove.

Reply to
clare

I was going to suggest masking tape. Steve's solution is much better.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Every floating floor I've seen (or worked on) has required a foam underlayment to effect the float.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The Habitat that I work with uses floating laminate floors a lot. They often do not have a separate foam sheet, but a foam backing on each piece. You wouldn't want them sticking.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

No underlayment needed:

Steve Walker

Maybe. Is that the same as tarpaper?

Does

No:

Trying to avoid the thickness, and I hate putting new over old anything.

Reply to
Steve Walker

I hate covering up old with new.

Most floating floors have foam pad underlayment

No foam needed:

Also trying to avoid thickness.

I don't feel that you have a problem.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Excellent idea.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Yes , it's a form of tarpaper - it just has very little tar compared to regular roofing felt .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Yeah, tarred felt roofing paper.

No foam? That's downright strange.

With floors, I like extra thickness, except at transitions to other flooring in other rooms at different heights.

"No new over old" is usually a good thing.

Reply to
Larry Jaques