Fuel remover

I know this has probably been asked and answered a million times on here but isn't there a basic product that can be purchased locally that when applied to nitromethane soaked wood that will evaporate it out of the wood?

Reply to
rokman

I believe what you are looking for is K2R, which is a spot lifter you can find in the laundry section of must drug stores. Not sure if it pulls the nitromethane out, but it draws the oil up to the surface of the wood as a fine white powder which can be wiped off.

Reply to
Normen Strobel

I just read about this on our club's newsletter, I don't know the product myself or have used it, but this it what it says " Using K2R Spot Remover in spray will get the oil out of the balsa wood. Heavily saturated sections may take several applications. Oil soaked balsa can also be successfully glued with thin CA"

Best Regards Tony!!!!!

Reply to
Tony Law

I have used K2R several times. It works very well. Just spray on, let dry, and vacuum. You may have to repeat this a few times to get all the oil out. The Alcohol in the fuel should evaporate.

Reply to
WMHJ

I've used both the cornstarch/alcohol method and K2R, and IMHO the starch/alcohol seems to work a bit better. I second the use of starch/alcohol.

-- Morris Lee snipped-for-privacy@veriz> >

Reply to
Morris Lee

This is what you want....

http://65.18.207.26/store/product1761.html

Reply to
Doug Dorton

Another product that is just like K2R is Bissell One Step spot remover, works just as well. Just don't use the little brush thingy attached to the cap on balsa. And don't ask me how I know! 8-)

Tom Wales AMA 435536

Reply to
Tom Wales

The fuel will evaporate on its own, the problem is the oil residue after the fuel evaporates.

The only thing I have found that completely removes the oil residue is a saw blade. Saw out the bad wood and replace.

If the oil has not soaked in very deeply, then K2R and some of the other methods will work.

For situations were the oil has completely saturated the wood, its not going to come out easily.

I've used 2 cans of K2R on a Four Star .60. The residue on the surface comes off, but after a few days more oil oozes backup to the surface.

I guess repeating the process would eventually remove all the oil. But I have already repeated the process dozens of times.

If your not very particular you can apply one or two coats of K2R, then balsarite the wood and new covering will stick. But I don't like that method.

Reply to
emcook

Sounds like you need to learn to cover better. JK

Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

The fuel line came off my tank once, and I pumped about ten ounces of fuel into the fuselage before I figured out that there was a problem. I used a bunch of corn starch that day.

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

HeHeHe. Been there, done that got the t-shirt!

-- Jim in NC

Reply to
Morgans

I have used K2R and the cornstarch method, and I think the latter is a little better and certainly cheap. Use 91% rubbing alcohol, not the usual 70%. Probably grain alcohol is better, but you can't get it (in my area, at least) anymore. Used to buy it from the liquor stores (from people who gave you a funny look).

Reply to
John R. Agnew

I didn't build it, it was a freebie.

Reply to
emcook

Look for denatured alcohol or shellac thinner at your local hardware store. It's ethanol (the drinkin' kind) made undrinkable with a tad of isopropyl alcohol and a touch of gasoline.

-- Morris Lee snipped-for-privacy@veriz> > >

Reply to
Morris Lee

I got a bottle of 180 proof recently for just over ten bucks. But you can get ethanol a lot cheaper in the hardware store, where it is called "denatured alcohol". But don't drink it. It has been made poisonous with additives so it doesn't have to be taxed.

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds