new shop floor question

I checked the archives & rcm's archives with only ltd. success. I'm designing for an immediate build (moving) a new shop barn of my dreams. I will have a partitioned area for my blacksmithing & other "dirty" metalworking (grinding, welding, cutting, etc.). The whole shop (30x100) will be on a concrete slab. What if anything should I put down over the slab in this area?? Dirt, sand, etc.??? Thanks for all responses!!

Ted "Jack of all trades, master of none", but hope to master at least one before the grim-reaper knocks on the door.

Reply to
Ted Walker

yep. :.)

I poured a concrete slab for my shed with a 3inch square lip, I then put a 3in layer of "crush and run" down (this is mixed ungraded stone from a quarry from from about 2in diameter to dust).

Compress it down with a tamper (I used a garden roller).

It's now set like stone, but without the worries of it spalling.

I imagine a mixture of soil, sand, ash, clinkers and gravel would work as well - assuming you are under cover, otherwise, whats wrong with grass?

Reply to
bigegg

Reply to
Ted Walker

Forge and woodworking (and auto-fuels/lubricants, too) without walls sounds like a recipe for a shop fire - not a happy thought.

Reply to
Ecnerwal