knowing your limitations saves time and money!

I made a deal with my boss a few weeks ago (I work for a bedding manufacturer). He was having a premium fancy shmancy set of bedding made for me (actually my wife, our present one is fine) and in return, I would restore four metal vintage tonka toys (loader, 2 graders, and a dozer) he had when he was a kid. He and his wife have twin boys that are going to get them. Well I finished one grader and it turned out very nice. I disasembled the payloader, sandblasted it, painted the parts, then reassembled it. Turned out great. Then I had this genius idea of applying a clear coat for extra protection... big mistake! I wrinkled the base coat and ruined a weeks worth of work. The lesson: I am not a painter. It makes a mess of my shop, is time consuming and i just do not have the knowledge or patience for it. So now, I wasted a week, and have to disassemble, re-blast everything, and reassemble again. This time I'm having a friend who is set up for painting cars spray them for me instead. How many times has anyone out there tackled a job and ended up paying more (in time and money) than if they would have subbed out a procedure?

walt

Reply to
wallsterr

That sucks doesn't it ! I've had that happen just from primer and then paint , I hear your suppose to wait like sticking it in the sun for a couple of days. & never switch types of paint which is a given.

Close , but learned a lot , time is the hard part to calculate.

Reply to
Sunworshiper

i learned back in the 70's that lacquor and enamel dont mix.. this would happen if you used a coat of one and then came back with a coat of the other... cant remember which, but as i dont spray paint anymore it does not matter to me and the stuff that they spray on cars now i just dont understand.... it used to be just enamel and lacquor...i got three cars now and dont know what is on any of them....

Reply to
jim

"jim" wrote: (clip) lacquor and enamel dont mix.. this would happen if you used a coat of one and then came back with a coat of the other... cant remember which,(clip) ^^^^^^^^^^ Lacquer thinner will attack oil-based paints, so you are not supposed to put lacquere on top of oil base. You can go the other way, if the base coat is dry.

If you really must apply lacquer over oil, you can cheat your way through by "misting" on a number of very light coats, with plenty of drying time in between. This allows the thinner to evaporate before it has a chance to cause wrinkling, and after several coats are on, the original coat is covered with enough dry lacquer so you can go ahead and give it a heavier coat if need be.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

disasembled

If you never make mistakes then you're not pushing your limits and you won't grow. If you don't grow then sooner or later all your business will go to India. Now you know one more thing not to do.

Reply to
Tim Wescott