Label reading

I have a motor that has a label that is printed a pale yellow on a bright white background.My eyesight is failing me through diabetes and can't seem to make out the letters.What color of filter would be used to enhance reading this label?Or some other way of reading it.

Reply to
Time Traveler

Take a zoomed in pic with a digital camera, upload it, then try different effects. Also good when you can't get positioned to see the label.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 19:15:24 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Time Traveler) quickly quoth:

Try a reflector which is a contrasting color to yellow. The opposite side of the color wheel would be violet. Hold it up at different angles around the spec plate and it should bring out the letters for you to read with your magnifier lenses on. ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

According to Time Traveler :

It probably was once red, and has faded due to UV exposure.

My first try would be a blue filter. That should give a black on blue. If that doesn't work, try something like a green filter, and see what it does.

The cheap way would be to get a pack of gels, since good photo-grade glass filters are expensive. You can probably get them at a good theatrical supply place, or industrial photo shop.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

As DoN suggests, try the complementary color to the yellowish remaining ink color. That would be 'blue-ish' You can get a whole set of cheap but useable colored films that cover the spectrum at Michaels Crafts. They are in a play pack for kids to make paper craft projects. About $5. I have also seen selections of these colored 'foils' in a Dollar store recently. Darn near bought one just because it would be good in my 'just-in-case' drawer. Alright, so it's a closet, not a drawer. :)

Jeff99

Reply to
Jeff99

Gentlemen,thanks so much for your help.I get disgusted at times because of my vision loss,just trying to cope with it.Hope they finally find a causation as it is striking the general public in ever increasing numbers.

Reply to
Time Traveler