Dimmer for 4V LED

I have a 4V, 0.75A, 3W power adapter (120V input) that powers a single LED that is too bright.

Is there a way to make or purchase a dimmer that could work on the low power side?

Thanks

Reply to
m-m

A resistor should work until you reach the point that the LED goes out. Without knowing the specs on the LED or the current it is running at I am not sure where to start with the resistor but I would shove 10 ohms in there and see what happens. Then work up or down from there.

Reply to
gfretwell

Good starting point. Thanks.

Reply to
m-m

If the starting point is 4V 0.75A the ending point may be around half this brightness or 3V @0.38A therefore the 1V drop @ 0.38A is around 2.6 Ohms 1/2W

Reply to
Anthony Stewart

Thanks for the input. Here's how I solved it:

The light appeared too bright, and I thought a dimmer was the answer, but it was really the bright white color of the LED that was ruining the scene.

I found a yellow photographic filter and that did it. The light did not need to be dimmer; it needed to be warmer.

mm

Reply to
m-m