Lathe identification

I just got a small lathe, about 12 inches, with no name, logo or other markings. Can anyone tell me what I have or tell me where I might find information about it. It can be seen at:

Thanks - Charles

Reply to
Charles Kroon

Looks like some sort of an automated staff /pinion cutting machine... Why don't you lubricate it, center and chuck up a small piece of brass, put power to both pulleys, and see what happens?

Reply to
Enders Epilogue

Some sort of scale would be helpful. It appears to be a lathe used by watchmakers. Try a horological news group. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Looks to be a production lathe or "turns" for either watches or instrumentation. It appears to me to be for repetetive operations, anyway, rather than being a tool for a watch repairer.

Seems to be a copy lathe of sorts. Does the toolpost have an auto feed to it, or does it have to be moved manually? Any sign of a cam or template that may guide the cutting tool?

A fellow by name of Theodore R. Crom has a book or two out on horological tools. I'd suggest a google search of that name with the term "horological tools" will give you some titles, and a trip to your local library for an interlibrary loan.

Try posting over at alt.horology as well

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Watch or screw making - interesting cam on the right side... Lots of controls.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn