Lawnmower miseries

Help! Advice please for my 2-stroke Bad Boy, errr, make that Lawn Boy. It is very hard to start and appears like, smells like it floods when
attempting to cold start. All I did this year after replacing the spark plug was to squirt some Gumout carb cleaner into the running engine air intake until it would momentarily stall while digesting the carb cleaner. With that apparent success under my belt, I replaced the air cleaner with a foam rubber sponge cut down from another brand that was available. So far, I haven't taken the sponge out to see if that influences the problem one way or the other. I had a similar problem once with a motorcycle air cleaner that had been overzealously soaked with oil. Any suggestions?
Bob Swinney

It
far,
way
No suggestions, but a bit of sympathy...
My mother had a Lawn Boy that was impossible to start after it had sat for a while. I rigged an adapter that allowed me to spin it up with an electric drill. Sometimes it would take two or three "drill starts" before it would settle down and run. But, after that, it would usually start and run right. I suspect the reed valves were a little sticky, but I never took it apart...
Jerry
Jerry Foster wrote:

Maybe you hit something and it finally bent the shaft or the keyway bar. That is what was the common issue - timing goes and goes then gone. Might be the final straw last season.
Maybe the cleaner ate some float inside or something also. :-(
Martin
--
Martin Eastburn

EZ way to start hard starters is to stick an unlit propane torch in the carb and start it on propane.
--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

Several possibilities but the air cleaner is suspect in this case. Another suspect is the float and/or needle and seat in the carb not shutting off properly and allowing the flooding. At least that's where I would start looking.
Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook
Lawn boys were they not originally designed and made by parent company OMC........no wonder it won't run....OMC says it all.
=============================================Put some color in your cheeks...garden naked!
~~~~ }<((((o> ~~~~~~ }<{{{{o> ~~~~~~~ }<(((((o>
On Wed, 18 May 2005 23:24:43 -0500, "Robert Swinney"

If the primer "button" has cracks or leaks in some way you may not be priming the engine. I have to replace mine about every year.
Right now mine doesn't appear to have spark. It ran fine last week 'till I was finished and now won't start. A new plug didn't help. Randy
On Wed, 18 May 2005 23:24:43 -0500, "Robert Swinney"

Greetings Bob, Does it have a Tecumseh engine? If so, first take off the air cleaner and try to start it. If it doesn't, and seems to be flooded, it may be the rubber diaphragm in the bottom of the carb. There may be a small hole in the center of the plate in the bottom of the carb. If there is, gently poke a toothpick or similar into this hole and push against the diaphragm. This will work the inlet needle seat, which acts like a float valve in a float bowl carb. Sometimes a little dirt gets in there and makes the engine flood. Be sure to work the diaphragm gently or you can ruin parts and be forced to buy a rebuild kit. ERS

Just my 2 cents worth, but in my opinion (based on lots of mechanical and engine experience) 2 stroke Lawn Boys aren't worthy of my hard earned money. Get rid of it and buy a decent lawnmower if you can, like a Honda.
Lane
Lane wrote:

My experience with Lawn Boys is that they are Good Stuff. If you gotta push a lawnmower, a two-stroke with a mag. deck is ideal.
I got one of those hovercraft push mowers out in the barn, someday I'm going to get it running. I think it's got the Tecumseh two-stroke, only engine they made that I liked.
John
JohnM wrote:

I like my punishment over time rather than up front. I'll take a 4-stroke,

The infamous 'Fly-Mo' ?

Only the brits would be stupid enough to still use this thing! http://www.classic-lawns.co.uk/client/prod_extensions/flymo_xl500_plus.htm
Short pants + Fly Mo + bare patch of ground in the lawn = sand eroded shins and feet = bizarre dancing fetish = really stupid engineering idea...... please go back to the drawing board.....
--

Homepage
http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/machine_shop/index.htm

OK wise guy, tell us how you cut a 45degree ( or even 60 degree) slope with any other mower? With a Flymo you simply stand at the top & swing a rope attached to the machine back & forth - piece of piss!
Having said all that I did end up sledgehammering mine into small pieces - took some doing too! It was an absolute bastard to start ( even with the electric drill trick) & after warning it for 20 years, it had to be taght a lesson<GG>
----------------------------------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@boltblue.com -----------------------------------------------------------

Not true. Eastman Industries in the US builds and sells them. Lots of them. And they ain't cheap (like around $600 last time I looked).

Perfect for steep hills, sand traps, trimming over water hazards (they will float over water). A very useful tool.
-Carl
On Sat, 21 May 2005 04:53:23 GMT, the inscrutable "Carl Byrns"

Um, Carl, how often do your sand traps need mowing? (Just curious.)
========================================================== Save the Endangered Bouillons from being cubed! http://www.diversify.com/stees.html Hilarious T-shirts online ==========================================================
wrote in message

will
I should have said "trimming around sand traps".
Hover mowers are a specialty tool- like the socket wrench for the #1 bank O2 sensor on my truck (without the socket, it's a nightmare, with it, piece o' cake).
-Carl
On Mon, 23 May 2005 00:33:50 GMT, the inscrutable "Carl Byrns"

I was just funnin' ya.

Grok that. Distributor wrenches, line wrenches, panel trim wrenches, brake pliers, snap-ring pliers, ad infinitum. I have a whole toolbox drawer full of bent and/or ground wrenches and sockets for one specific use and I'll be darned if I can remember what caused most of them to be built. The ground-down 3/4" open end was for an automatic transmission vacuum modulator. I bent the other end to 45 for some other use; I can recall specifics for neither but they're ready for reuse some future day. <g>
- The only reason I would take up exercising is || http://diversify.com so that I could hear heavy breathing again. || Programmed Websites
On Sat, 21 May 2005 04:53:23 GMT, "Carl Byrns"

Which only a glutton for punishment would seed in grass, anyway....

maybe with chainsaw chaps and welders boots, a respirator, and any other protective gear appropriate to a class 9 sandstorm....

Ok, well, that about sums it up. Anybody mowing water is a few french fries short of a happy meal, anyway.....

So is a smoke sifter.
:-)
--

Homepage
http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/machine_shop/index.htm

Wuddya mean - *seed*?
Grass, like taxes, *happens*!

You must not have any Water Hyacinths...
Pernicious plants!

Especially when configured into a newsreader...
wrote:> >Perfect for steep hills,

Must be it doesn't rain in Geneland. Either that or grass only grows right where you want it to. Elsewhere,erosion happens and grass grows in the damnedest places.

Here, let me make it easy on you: http://www.hovermower.com/media.htm You can watch one mowing over water. Really.

Don't know about a 'smoke sifter', but I have heard of a smoke _shifter_.
-Carl