Lawnmower miseries

Gee, then how come they are number one in customer loyalty- more repeat buyers than any other brand?

We sell Lawn-Boy consumer mowers to landscapers who beat the shit out of them (throw-and I mean throw- them off the trailer 6 to 10 times a day, run them 6 hours a day, every day, leave them out in the rain, you name it...) and they only last about twelve years or so. Try that with a Honda.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

Not true. Eastman Industries in the US builds and sells them. Lots of them. And they ain't cheap (like around $600 last time I looked).

Perfect for steep hills, sand traps, trimming over water hazards (they will float over water). A very useful tool.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

As others have suggested, clean out the exhaust ports (use a wood stick) and make sure the muffler assembly isn't coked up.

Using Gumout may have been a very bad idea- it"ll loosen all the accumulated carbon and wash the protective oil film off the internal engine parts. You may have created an ideal environment for rust. Next time use 'fogging oil' - I like the Briggs product. And get the OEM filter.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

I see lots of solutions offered to problems you may or may not have, but it sounds to me like you've answered your own question. Worked OK before replacing air cleaner. Now it smells flooded. Once had a similar problem with a soaked MC aircleaner. Hmm.

As Gary Brady noted, pull the sponge out of the airecleaner to eliminate that variable, see if it'll run. You may need to clean or even change the plug since it was flooding and it's a 2-stroke.

If that works, then figure out how to filter its air.

If it doesn't work and ignition looks OK, my solution to balky lawnmowers and snow blowers has always been to get a kit, thoroughly clean and overhaul the carb. It has always worked on engines that weren't so worn out it was time to replace them.

Reply to
Don Foreman

On Sat, 21 May 2005 04:53:23 GMT, the inscrutable "Carl Byrns" spake:

Um, Carl, how often do your sand traps need mowing? (Just curious.)

=========================================================== Save the Endangered Bouillons from being cubed!

Hilarious T-shirts online ===========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thanks to all respondents. The plug was new, the exhuast ports were cleaned before I broached the question. I had replaced the air filter with another brand because the store was out of Lawn Boy filters. Hey! it looked OK but it was thicker than the original - no big deal. Apparently, being thicker was restrictive enough to make it perform as if in choke mode, more or less. Anyway, I got a proper filter and the problem went away. Esp. thanx to Don Foreman who said I had pretty much diagnosed the problem already. Must be true - what they say about great minds, huh?

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Which only a glutton for punishment would seed in grass, anyway....

maybe with chainsaw chaps and welders boots, a respirator, and any other protective gear appropriate to a class 9 sandstorm....

Ok, well, that about sums it up. Anybody mowing water is a few french fries short of a happy meal, anyway.....

So is a smoke sifter.

:-)

Reply to
Gene Kearns

Wuddya mean - *seed*?

Grass, like taxes, *happens*!

You must not have any Water Hyacinths...

Pernicious plants!

Especially when configured into a newsreader...

Reply to
RAM^3

I should have said "trimming around sand traps".

Hover mowers are a specialty tool- like the socket wrench for the #1 bank O2 sensor on my truck (without the socket, it's a nightmare, with it, piece o' cake).

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

Must be it doesn't rain in Geneland. Either that or grass only grows right where you want it to. Elsewhere,erosion happens and grass grows in the damnedest places.

Here, let me make it easy on you:

can watch one mowing over water. Really.

Don't know about a 'smoke sifter', but I have heard of a smoke _shifter_.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

Certainly, it rains! But, then, I don't plant grass in areas that are illogical to mow. There are *many* green things besides grasses... You want green? Plant Kudzu... you can *hear* it growing... and you don't have to mow it...

Yeah, I get it... but, really. I haven't seen one of those silly things since I was a teenager.... and that has been a l-o-n-g time ago. I have *never* seen one of those things on *any* golf course and I live in an area where there are literally tens of thousands of acres of golf courses...

Reply to
Gene Kearns

On Mon, 23 May 2005 00:33:50 GMT, the inscrutable "Carl Byrns" spake:

I was just funnin' ya.

Grok that. Distributor wrenches, line wrenches, panel trim wrenches, brake pliers, snap-ring pliers, ad infinitum. I have a whole toolbox drawer full of bent and/or ground wrenches and sockets for one specific use and I'll be darned if I can remember what caused most of them to be built. The ground-down 3/4" open end was for an automatic transmission vacuum modulator. I bent the other end to 45° for some other use; I can recall specifics for neither but they're ready for reuse some future day.

- The only reason I would take up exercising is ||

so that I could hear heavy breathing again. || Programmed Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques