Lets roll!

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Wounding? with a clip of stingers? You must be a terrible shot. [g]

Reply to
Dustin

No! No! No! You tell them you want a lightweight weapon to scare away sissies. You wouldn't want them to fill their 'Depends', would you? No one wants to be around when those need changed!

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Keith does most of his shooting with an electron gun. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Whatever....

Reply to
Doug

AC has less holding power than DC. it could also set up resonant vibration in what they are pulling against. They may use unfiltered DC from a bank of rectifiers, but at that power level it would require three phase, and the ripple is only a few percent with a full wave three phase bridge. Those electromagnets are extremely power hungry. I weas shocked tro see the specs on one. 480 V 1000A three phase to the 'rectifier' and about a 10% duty cycle for the electromagnet, depending on the surrounding temperature and airflow. They also have a high residual magnetic field, so it helps in the lifting.

Three things come to mind:

1: Hard drives were physically larger in 1999. New recording techniques allow a density they couldn't achieve, ant that requires a lot higher magnetic field to erase the data. 2: What would have stopped someone from stealing the data on CDROMs? 3: The data could be remotely logged, so even if that did work, it's still not secure unless the servers were completely isolated from any other computer. That kind of makes servers unneeded, doesn't it? Do you know what it would take to maintain a field like that? How about the 'Inverse Square law'?

You would need a low frequency alternating magnetic field to erase a drive, and the opening would have to me quite small. The magnetic field would likely be so strong that it would be detrimental to the person carrying the drive. Are you familiar with 'Skin Depth' in wire? That means that the higher the frequency, the less of the conductor is penetrated by the electrical current. DC can use the entire conductor, but at a high enough AC frequency the current only uses the outside and whatever the 'Skin Depth' is. That is the reason that high power RF coils are wound with copper tubing, and sometimes silver plated to reduce the surface resistance. 'Skin Depth' is also involved in waveguide. The metal only has to be thick enough for the required physical strength to support it's weight. The RF bounces along inside the waveguide at much lower loss than in coax. There is a whole class of mathematics involved in the design of high power waveguide systems. Another is the design of high power diplexers used in NTSC TV broadcast. They look like steam punk, because they have to. Lots of gleaming copper or brass, sometimes tons of it.

A better approach would be a metal detector that won't let you remove any metal from the room without dropping it through a high power shredder, and the debris is removed by gravity trough a long shaft.

How would they know when they got it right?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Well, a sissy isn't going to attack me unless you think I could die from having my butt grabbed. O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Many folks are having problems with those cute little guns so I'd be looking at something else. The only pistol that ever seemed to fit my hand was a Desert Eagle .50 cal. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Historically, the manufacturers run .380 for a while and then switch back to

9mm, which is their bread and butter. That's made it relatively scarce at times. That may change with the increasing popularity.

When the shelves were stripped bare after the election, about the only thing left was .32. so i gues that's the good news. Mouse guns just never went over well in cowboy country.

Reply to
rbowman

If I chose to walk in and buy one of those pink Walthers, the clerks might be amused, but I bet they'd wait for me to hit the parking lot before chuckling.

Reply to
rbowman

Some of my cop friends have dealt with violent critters hopped up on angel dust and one of the dusted had his legs shot to bits but kept coming at the officers like he didn't notice. It took a head shot to put him down. There are zombies among us so we must be vigilant. O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

They aren't bad as long as you have a small boy for a gun bearer. I don't think they make a comfortable IWB holster for them...

Reply to
rbowman

Yeah, it happens. It can take a lot to convince someone high on PCP that he's dead.

Nope, never designed with at toob in my life. I'm too young. ;-)

Reply to
krw

What worries me is a home defense situation where I'm awakened by a goblin at the door and my hands don't work too well when I'm first awakened. If I close my hands, one or more fingers stick and won't open normally until my hands warmup. Long gone are the days when I could jump out of bed and spring into action. I've seen some material on modifying trigger assemblies on home defense shotguns to make it easier for someone with arthritis to fire the weapon. I live in pain but it would be a lot worse if I sat around instead of pushing myself. Me and JH are looking for a young guy to help us pull wire and cable and climb around in ceilings, someone around 50 years old. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Gunner's got you pretty well nailed; Ignorati.

Reply to
krw

Do you laugh your ass off watching low budget SciFi shows where the engine room of the giant alien space cruiser is actually a chiller plant for an big building's air conditioning system? Placards with alien looking symbols cover the nameplates with Carrier, York, Trane and Square D printed on them. It hurts to laugh that hard sometimes. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

It's bad enough that the critters are stealing the darn things for the metal. Now the idiot dope dealers will get into the act thinking they can erase any data law enforcement has on them. O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Is it better to carry a .380 (or .32) or to not carry a .45?

Reply to
krw

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" on Sat, 28 Jul 2012

15:17:33 -0400 typed in alt.survival the following:

Good point.

Oh they did get the necessary flux density. It was, after all, a Major Plot Point.

In the real world - just a matter of engineering.

A) the SF story publish in 1942 about the making of an "atomic bomb" which got the author a visit from the FBI. (And there was a short story some years later, about how a guy got tired of the bad props for a science fiction series, so made some "realistic" ones. They were accepted, and soon, the series was a mega hit because it all seemed "real". Then one evening, he answers the door, and mistakes the person at the door for the FBI, before spotting the "Flying Saucer" in the driveway.)

B) "The Secret that exploded" - after a while, if you speak the jive of the tribe, they assume you too have the necessary clearance.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

They might beat you up with a purse, with a brick in it.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Unless science trumps engineering. Getting that sort of flux density over a large area tends to cause "problems".

"You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the signpost up ahead? your next stop, the Twilight Zone!"

AIUI, he was allowed a tour of a boomer but all of the classified stuff was covered. His imagination just filled in the "obvious". IIRC, the issue was the SONAR station.

Reply to
krw