Speedi-Sleeve anyone shrink fit an undersize one?

I am dealing with a shaft dia of 1.326 in. The CRC/SKF Speedi-Sleeve does = not have an application for this diameter. P/N 99134 is intended for a min= imum shaft dia of 1.333 in. P/N 99131 is intended for a maximum shaft dia = of 1.316 in. So I am thinking of a heat/shrink fit. Will I be able to get= enough expansion? Being such a thin wall part, I would expect it to cool = immediately on contact with the shaft. I am thinking of heating either wit= h a heat gun or a "propane" torch (possibly using MAPP gas). I have looked= around a bit and it appears that the competitors have set their catalogs t= o parallel the Speedi-Sleeve catalog (frequently using the same P/Ns.

THe alternative to a shrink fit is to press the sleeve in place. Your tho= ughts?

Reply to
aribert n

The thermal expansion coefficient of 304 stainless is 9.9 microinches/in per deg. F. To enlarge a 1.316" opening by .010" you would have to heat it up by at least 1010 degrees F. So I would say heating is probably not practical.

I have not used these sleeves but a 0.010" interference on a 1.3" shaft is way beyond a reasonable press fit. You would have to stretch the material by almost 1%, but the yield point is 0.2% as given by this data table

anorton

Nickel plate, maybe electroless?

Metal spraying?

Reply to
newshound

anorton - thanks for the reality check. I think I'll turn a thin spacer to limit the seal installation depth by about 0.060 to 0.080 and ride on a virgin area of the shaft.

Reply to
aribert n

microinches/in per=20

Sleeves tend to split if you try and do that.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT