Lettermans 'Will It Explode'

Letterman ran a new (to me anyway) gag tonight called 'will it explode'... I missed the first part, but think it was one of those deals where Dave and Paul try to predict if some object/s will explode when dumped off the roof of his building in New York.

Tonight was a bunch of fire extingushers... I saw it from across the room, but think they all stayed intact. Then later, going to commercial, they had a camera outside looking around at them.

After reading the account here of the gentleman and his wife having one come unglued, it scared the hell out of me just to watch it...

Just my .02 cents worth...

Erik

Reply to
Erik

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 08:27:10 GMT, Erik vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Letterman bomb?

**************************************************** sorry remove ns from my header address to reply via email

Spike....Spike? Hello?

Reply to
Old Nick

He's been doing this gag for a *long* time. Back when he was second banana on NBC following Carson, he found the best thing to drop. That was a sack of flour with a burning streamer attached. Big dust explosion, mushroom cloud.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

My dad told me about a commander he had on Guadalcanal while flying P-39's. I seem to recall the word "idiot". The commander wanted them to practice bombing using the inane procedure of chunking little colored sacks of flour out of the windows of the P-39 at targets painted on roofs around Henderson (the P-39 had roll down windows to go with the car doors). Dad sailed a sack at the target on top the dispensary, and instead sent it through the screen door as someone came out. Poof! That ended the experiment.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Peter T. Keillor III

Probably homeland security won't let him show any of the ones where it goes boom anymore!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Hope Dave saw NBC news tonight. Might give him some new ideas...

Flatbed semi (>>>Letterman ran a new (to me anyway) gag tonight called 'will it

Reply to
Larry Kraus

Larry Kraus wrote: (clip) Internal gases built up and the whale exploded, sending guts and blubber flying onto pedestrians, sidewalks and shop fronts ^^^^^^^^^^^ I don't remember where this happened, but a couple of months back, on the news, there was a report about a beached whale. Some *brilliant* person decided to blow it up, instead of moving it away, with similar results.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Actually it was some years ago and to save money the local authorities decided to use about 500 lb of explosives in the hope that by blowing it up into small hunks that it would wash out to sea and nature would take it's course.

Instead there was flying blubber everywhere including a large chunk that fell on some guys car about a quarter mile away and totalled it.

There's an MPEG floating around the web that shows it including the announcer's reaction when the video crew started to get pummeled by dropping whale parts.

Reply to
Shiver Me Timbers

Reply to
larry g

Reply to
larry g

During WW2, a new, flower class Corvette, that had just been commissioned, was sent out to Cape Flattery. There had been a report of a Japanese submarine in the area. The Asdic detected a "submarine", and the Corvette laid down a full pattern of hedgehog, and depth charges. A large whale was blown to pieces, and the ship was covered with blood, guts, and blubber. When it returned to Victoria, the ship went straight to the shipyard. Everyone was pulled from other jobs, including my father. It took two days to clean the ship! When it was done, my father took his work clothes out, and burned them. The stench was unbelievable! Some of the bone was salvaged, buried on a nearby beach, until the crabs had done their work. It was then cut up, and passed out to anyone that wanted it for knife handles, etc. I still have a piece.

Steve R.

Reply to
Udie