What's the deal with HF?

I just went to HF to get the $175 bandsaw. They say they don't carry it. I was amazed. I thought every HF store carries this. Does the HF in your area stock them, and how much. I have e mailed HF to see how much this puppy will cost landed in my yard, and Northern Tools, too.

I need one of these, but don't feel like spending the $700 for the larger more available ones.

PS: got a couple of Ridgid blades at Home Depot for $10 each. Now if I just had a saw ...................

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Metalworking is kind of a niche market I guess. They should ship it to you for free in the continental US if you have a few weeks (but it's a $169 bandsaw, if that's okay with you). You can order it from their website: Item: 37151-7VGA

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Got all that. I'm just amazed that I can't find one locally.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

The one down the street has them. The other one had them, but I haven't looked in a while. When the local store opened they were on sale for $150.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

You sure those are for metal? Never seen anything but woodworking blades at the local Home Depot.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

The harbor freight retail stores are some kind of separate operation from the mail order one. The stores do not necessarily carry the same merchandise (though often do), and cannot order items from the catalog. Store personnel say they have little or no connection to the mail order operation, though the common merchandise and trademarks belies this. They have separate mailings and advertising flyers. Pricing is all over the place, with the mail order being cheaper on some items, and the store on others. Each organization sets their own price, and sale items.

Dan Mitchell ==========

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

What used to be fun was looking through a HF mail flyer and seeing how many times a given item was listed under different stock numbers and different prices but was the exact same item with the exact same description and picture.

They seem to have caught on to that. The last several catalogs may list the same item on different pages, but the stock numbers and prices are the same.

Reply to
John Husvar

I placed an order for 3 items. 1 arrived in a day or two leading me to think it was shipped locally. The other 2 arrived a week later, one of those items was an "internet only" and not available in stores. Made me how exactly they tackle that free shipping on big items.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Yup. Says so right on the package. That was the first thing I looked for. They DO have a selection of wood blades, too.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I got back from HF this morning empty handed after attempting to buy a horizontal bandsaw. I looked at their website. I got the part number for the one I wanted. I called, hoping to get a manager, or at least someone intelligent. I got a cashier who said, "Oh, yes. We have those. They are on sale for $149.99 and I have four". I related the story about being there earlier today, and being told they didn't carry them. She put me on hold, came back and said they had four.

Sooooooooooo, I trucked cross town .................. again ................ and picked one up. Whilst there, I told the intelligent salesgirl to show the other one where they were so that she could help sell them in the future instead of turning customers away. The unintelligent one chirped, "Oh, I know where they are." I clenched my jaw and waited for them to come out of the cavern with my saw. The little male geek put it in the back of the truck. It is now at home. And I have a couple of extra blades. And it is

103 outside right now in Las Vegas.

I bought it so I can start sawing at 5 AM without alienating the neighbors with my obnoxious Makita chop saw. I am looking forward to using it.

Sales people ............................... arrrrgghhhhhhh

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Are you sure you want this piece of crap? Why not look for a used real one? (i.e. an old one with some cast iron in it). I once got a 14" Grizzly used with a bunch of other stuff and it was a total thorn in my side. Eventually I tore it down and totally rebuilt it with a lot of redesign. It worked well after that, but I could have better spent the time and energy. At the same time I was having this headache my friend picked up a Rockwell for $150. Robobass

Reply to
robobass

Thanks, Grant. Some of the things mentioned are really obvious. For starters, I opened the box and took the first two pieces out ........... the "legs". Right then, I said, "Self, the first thing to do is make a decent cart/table for this thing. These legs aren't going to last a week, even on the best of floors." (I am currently working on a dirt floor area.) Now I gotta go to Homer's and get a couple of decent wheels.

The other info and FAQs will help me once I have it fired up and operational. But I can see that this topheavy moose antlered machine is going to need better footing before I even plug it in.

Just what I needed. More projects.................... But I don't mind making better tools and equipment that make life easier. I am anticipating cutting several square tubes at a time quietly now instead of the growling snarling one at a time chop saw thingy. Chuck it up, turn it on, let it go, go do something else, come back when they are done. Gotta be better than the chopper. I used a cold saw a few times, and that is better, but I think I am really going to like this setup.

Once I get it set up, that is.

Again, thanks for the info.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Why would I knowingly want to buy a problem?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Reply to
Machineman

Steve: I'm building a double opening driveway gate that I'll be installing in Las Vegas mid August. Maybe we can get together and become acquainted? I seem to get up to Vegas a couple of times a year. I've been met and visited with Sunworshiper and am always interested in meeting a fellow metal worker. You up for a visit? I live in Tucson.

Mike

mike

Piece of crap???? I'll take a guess that you've never owned one...

I've had mine for about 3 years now and it's the best $129.99 I ever spent. This little saw does everything I ask of it. It might not be as fancy as the expensive units but it will cut the same metal every bit as straight as anything else out there.

Robert

Reply to
Siggy

The tinfoil base sucks, but I was out there today using the cutting part to make a base for the new saw. From what I've seen so far, I'm impressed. Not fast, but cuts straight with less slag, sparks, noise, and dust than the old chop saw. Will be finishing up the stand tomorrow, and then on to finishing some wrought iron projects I am on.

I am really interested in seeing what it will do cutting multiple square tubes. Figure it should take a bit, but I can be deburring them and cleaning them while the next bunch is cutting. I will have a bunch of spindles to cut, too, and want to see if I can cut bundles of four or nine

1/2" tubes at once.

Even if I can choke it down, and it won't cut all I can feed into it, I like this little saw so far.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Are you sure you're in the right newsgroup? :-)

Reply to
ATP

I must not be. I thought this one was rec.crafts.metalworking and you seem to say it is rec.machinery.rebuilding.

My mistake. Sorry.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB