What's the deal with HF?

Should have bought two in case you smashed one with a sledge hammer like a long hair'd tatto'd biker builder named Billy,...

Careful now, you'll be labeled a stanch conservative, corporate loving, labor hating evil monger who eats babies.

Actually, the guys at the further HF really hustle butt unlike those lazy bums touring with Homier.

Joel. phx

I like my $90 parknswap saw, though I will have to make the downswing modification at some point. Mine didn't come with the cheap stand so I can't comment.

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Yep, they operate at arm's length so the mailorder part won't be subject to every state and local sales tax where they have a retail presence. The state and local tax folks are squalling about this, but so far I've been able to avoid the 6% sales tax by ordering from the catalog instead of driving

3 miles down the road and buying at HF's storefront.

With the current high gas prices, and HF's free freight, I save even more by staying home and using their website. The only problem with that is you don't get to eyeball and touch the tool before buying it. As a result, I've received a few items which weren't quite what I expected. So I often do drive down to the store, eyeball what I want, then go home and order it. I only actually buy from the storefront when I *need it now*.

Having UPS drop a HF box on the porch is a bit like Christmas. Because their shipping is usually so slow, I've often forgotten what orders I have pending by the time the box shows up. So I get the fun of ripping open the box to see what goodies I bought me this time.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

if you ask, they will explain that their retail stores, website, and catalog sales are three distinct and diferent business operations - don't ask why

HTH Dale

Reply to
dalecue

One thing to really watch out for with the HF unit: overheating! At the school where I teach we have one of these saws, and we were using it to cut off some aluminum from a block approx 2" x 2" square solid bar.

I guess we had the pulley ratio too high, because after a while the blade got stuck and stopped moving. Of course this was when we all went out to lunch, and when we got back the motor had overheated and seized (permanently).

HF did replace the motor, but the machine was down for weeks while we waited for it. A simple thermistor or other thermal cutoff would have saved the day...

Neil

Reply to
Neil

You left it running, and went to lunch? You were lucky you didn't lose the building.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I have never been in an HF store that didn't have the bandsaw as well as the drill presses, welders and other metalworking gear. Is it a small store front, maybe? What does the place carry, lawn ornaments? My 4x6 was $129 out the door, no shipping charge and no shipping damage. The stores frequently knock $10 or so off the discount web and catalog price during their store sales.

Stan

Reply to
Stan Schaefer

When cutting aluminum, keep the blade wet with spirits or even WD-40. They plug up and sieze rather easily, it doesn't take much to prevent it, and gives a much better looking cut. I just brush a little spirits on the blade while it's cutting. The anti spatter spray works well too, but more expensive than I can justify.

Reply to
Lennie the Lurker

I'm not being critical, and definitely not holier than thou Gary, but it would suprise me if the state you live in doesn't have a law on the books saying it's *your* responsibility to "fess up" and pay the equivalent sales tax to your state yourself.

Starting (I think in 2002) my current home state of Taxachusetts added a line to the personal income tax return form for reporting those untaxed out of state purchases, with instructions on how to compute the tax and pay it with your income taxes. It would be fun to learn how many folks complied.

Since Beantown is only about 40 minutes away from several New Hampshire shopping malls, and there's no sales tax in New Hampshire, you can pretty well guess where lots of folks do their weekend shopping. (New Hampshire's state motto, as emblazoned on their license plates, is "Live Free or Die.")

I quit smoking about ten years ago, but some of the folks I know who are still hooked admit to smuggling "coffin nails" across the border for friends and coworkers, because of the dramatically lower prices in New Hampshire.

The Boston Globe ran a piece last week about our Attorney General suing several web cigarette shops (and I think maybe UPS too.) for violating tobacco and sales tax laws.

IIRC Dennis Kozlowsky (The toppled Tyco tycoon.) started having his art purchases delivered by truck to his New Hampshire summer home to avoid the 8.5% New York sales tax and then sneaked them back to his Manhattan abode. Later on he got greedier and had empty crates shipped; the paintings just stayed in New York. "Once a crook, always a crook"

The continuing rise of web based businesses is probably going to make the minions of the sales tax laws find more effective ways that just our consciences to make us render Caesar's due to him.

Just my .02,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Yep, NY state now *imputes* a tax for otherwise untaxable sales (mail order, internet) and automatically adds that to one's tax burden. For me this year it was about fifty bucks. Non-negotiable.

Jim

jim rozen

Yep, and you're right it got MIGHTY HOT. Dumb thing to do in retrospect, but I never imagined there wouldn't be some kind of thermal shutdown on a self-running tool like this. Even my $19.95 hair dryer has a protective circuit.

Never again...

Neil

Reply to
Neil

Nothing wrong with buying a new machine ready to go, for a small band saw, you did OK. There is some satisfaction, however, in acquiring and improving older quality tools, even if some time and ingenuity is involved. Most of us wouldn't look at it as a problem, more like an opportunity.

Reply to
ATP

"ATP" wrote

Oh, I have bought my share of basket case rehab projects. But when I need to hit the ground running, I don't want to work on something just to find out IF it is going to work.

Were I to find a band saw that I could possibly repair, I might consider it. Might being the operative word. Right now, time is important to me, and I just don't like fooling with things as much as I did when I was younger. Now I like things to work right away so that I can move on with things. It is not cost effective to diddle fart around with some endless dead end project.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

To the best of my knowledge, Georgia doesn't have such a law. But I am aware that several other states do.

Ohio is the one that gets me, they insist on trying to collect sales tax for all private sales among private parties. At least Georgia doesn't try to tax private sales (they tried a few years ago specifically for used cars, but there was such an uproar they promptly repealed that tax law, no one was paying it anyway).

Kentucky is sneakier. They don't tax at the point of sale of a car, new or used, they get you when you go to first register it in your name. They charge sales tax on the Blue Book value of the car, whether you paid that much or not. Argh!

But some Kentuckian's are even sneakier, they register the car in another state first, then *transfer* title, already in their name, to Kentucky, thus avoiding the sales tax (though they do get hit with a $15 Sheriff's "inspection fee" when "importing" an out of state vehicle). To do that, they have the dealer "deliver" the car to another state (often the buyer will offer to do the delivery for a nominal fee, a dollar, which they build into the price).

Or they just neglect to transfer the title into their name at all (for beaters), and avoid the tax that way too.

The latter is flatly illegal, and can get you in trouble for other reasons than trying to dodge the tax. The former skates thinly along the letter of the tax law, and is technically legal if the

*other* state doesn't have a law against it. (Most don't, because they want the registration fee.)

I have dual residency, so I've had to keep track of this sort of thing. For example, I bought a truck in Kentucky (no sales tax at point of sale), had it (self) delivered to Georgia where I registered it (no sales tax because I didn't buy it here, and no Georgia real property tax since it was a first registration), then immediately transferred it back to Kentucky ($15 Sheriff's inspection fee), again no sales tax, and no Georgia real property tax in following years either. This is all within the letter of the law for both states.

Note that I had to do all this in less than 30 days, or I'd have lost insurance coverage, and that's illegal in both states. Insurance for someone with dual residency can be a nightmare anyway.

It can also get interesting dealing with cops when you have a driver's license from one state, and insurance and registration from another. I always carry the necessary papers (including copies of the relevant statutes) so I can show I'm in compliance with the laws of both states. Hassle? Sure, but it is worth it to save several thousand dollars in tax.

Note, people with dual residency *used* to be able to get two driver's licenses, one from each state. But that was made against federal law a few years back. Having matching licenses, insurance, and registrations made dealing with cops easier, and we can't have that.

Frankly, I'd sort of like to see us do away with state issued driver's licenses and state vehicle registrations. Just do it all at the federal level. That'd make things a lot easier for people like me. It probably wouldn't provide any wiggle room for legally dodging state and local automobile related taxes. But OTOH it would make it lots harder for states and localities to prove that you owed them any tax. :-)

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

Greetings and Salutations...

On 15 Jun 2004 12:26:57 -0700, jim rozen wrote: *snip*

Yea...cash to a politician is like crack to an addict. they can never get enough, and, as time progresses they need more and more to get that same buzz. Regards Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt