Linear bearings--putting a slot in?

Awl--

I'm only vaguely familiar w/ linear bearings. Would like to know if you think it would be possible to put a slot lengthwise in a linear bearing without overly altering its function. Say, a

1/8" wide by 1/2" long slot on a bearing that's about 1.25" long, 1" OD. I'm about to buy one, but they aren't so cheap, so I'd like to know in advance if I'll be spitting in the wind here. TIA.

---------------------------- Mr. P.V.'d formerly Droll Troll

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

good way to loose ball bearings on the carriages

Reply to
Nottingham

You can buy these linear bearings with the slot already there. Talk to the guys at the bearing house they will show you.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I suppose it depends on the bearing. I know Anderson, and I believe Nacci bearings come in different configurations; both solid shell and open sided (to allow passing a mounting post or stand-off). This said both models use the same "core", which actually holds the balls and tracks, which can be swapped from one model to another. This indicates merely having an opening the length of the bearing is not relevant. On the other hand if there is some residual tension in the metal and you cut it it may open-up more than you wish and not hold the core tightly.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

They come open also and there's usually a good selection on ebay if you can stand that game. Yeah they are spendy but kept fairly clean and in spec loadwise they last a long long time.

Reply to
bamboo

Not the guys at my local bearing house! Do you know of a place in particular, or what these style bearings might be called? Thanks.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

I believe the general term is "recirculating ball linear bearing". Maybe check with another bearing house in your area?

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger