'll be old enough

I have an 1936 vintage Kitchenaid stand mixer. This mixer is a real workhorse and gets lots of use. Back in 2000 the grease needed to be replaced. Upon opening the gearbox I could see that the old white grease had dried out quite a bit. Anyway, I replaced the grease with more white grease. Now, 14 years later the white grease I put in has lost a lot of the oil and has turned into glue. The stuff won't even wash out with solvents that usually work on grease. Anyway, I want to grease this mixer just one more time and have it last at least twice as long as the last greasing. If it does I'll be so old I won't care if the grease dries up because I probably won't be grinding meat and making bread. So, which grease is best for this application? Eric

Reply to
etpm

Food grade grease is required as the mixers do loose a little down into the bowl over time.

Reply to
Pete C.

Vaseline perhaps? Once had the misfortune of working in a rubber shop (baby bottle nipples...) the food grade grease for presses came in 20 gallon drums and was labeled "white petrolatum". Which is what Vaseline is.

Reply to
William Bagwell

Slick 50 one grease. Some say it's snake oil, it's proven to be the best I've used.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Food grade silicone synthetic grease. It won't dry up and harden, and it is food safe - and it lasts "forever" compared to both petrolatum and white Lithium soap grease.

Reply to
clare

Which food-grade grease did Kitchenaid suggest you use when you called them? ;)

How about this? (no, I've never tried it)

Larry Jaques

====================

F. George McDuffee

I have yet to see a Kitchen Aid mixer spew grease and I doubt any grease would harm anyone in tiny amounts. But, your suggestion is a good one.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Why are people stuck on food-grade grease? How much does the thing spew into the cookie dough?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I guess you haven't got both state and federal food inspectors stopping by your place. One comes after the Dept. of Ag inspector leaves. The other shows up right after the OSHA inspector fines me again. At least I didn't get fined when the labor inspector who showed up with the new worker protection standard. He only made me train 14 year old strawberry pickers how to apply pesticides. But, my favorite is still the water quality inspector. He has authority over my privy - that's all - and spends three hours a year here checking it out.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Most people don't have to deal with the goberment every time they fire-up the cookie dough machine. You're just blessed! OSHA fined me for a non-industrial power strip that had a radio plugged into it...belonged to the same guy that was rejected by one of the girls here so he called OSHA.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I want a grease that will last as long as the first charge, which as near as I can tell was 65 years. Kitchenaid is no help. They just say to pull the machine apart to ckeck the grease. I did email Amsoil to find out how long their grease will last. I also spoke with my local Mobil grease supplier about this. So far nobody is willing to say how long the grease will probably last. This is why I posted here. Eric

Reply to
etpm

I'll look into the food grade silicone grease. Thanks, Eric

Reply to
etpm

snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Sixty-five years ago, they probably didn't give a rat's ass about "food grade" vs. regular petroleum/soap greases. Likely, they figured, "If grease is leaking out onto your food, STOP USING IT, STUPID!"

(like they should now)

So they most likely selected the BEST grease, not the best 'food grade' grease.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

VERY little - but rather safe than sorry - and the stuff is available, at reasonable cost - and it works VERY well.

Reply to
clare

Or just the cheapest grease that would get it through warranty - - - - .

Reply to
clare

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That it lasted 65 years without re-greasing sort of belies that theory. In the 30s and 40s, about the only concessions to quality in most name- brand appliances was to weight -- and not a lot of that, either. They didn't take the sort of Chinese shortcuts you see now.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

-grease/

PrecisionmachinisT

Even though there is a drip ring around the planetary gear there is another shaft that drips oil from the grease once in a while. I don't want it in my food, it may make it taste bad. I'm pretty sure food grade grease is made to be tasteless so that if it drips into the food not only is there no safety issue there is no product rejected because it tastes bad. When I go to all the trouble of making bread it should taste excellent. Eric

Reply to
etpm

Even though there is a drip ring around the planetary gear there is another shaft that drips oil from the grease once in a while. Eric

Shouldn't there be a seal on this shaft? I have worked on a similar heavy duty mixer and it had a seal. Nothing came through from the gearbox. phil

Reply to
Phil Kangas