'll be old enough

I have an 1936 vintage Kitchenaid stand mixer. This mixer is a real workhorse and gets lots of use. Back in 2000 the grease needed to be
replaced. Upon opening the gearbox I could see that the old white grease had dried out quite a bit. Anyway, I replaced the grease with more white grease. Now, 14 years later the white grease I put in has lost a lot of the oil and has turned into glue. The stuff won't even wash out with solvents that usually work on grease. Anyway, I want to grease this mixer just one more time and have it last at least twice as long as the last greasing. If it does I'll be so old I won't care if the grease dries up because I probably won't be grinding meat and making bread. So, which grease is best for this application? Eric
snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:

Food grade grease is required as the mixers do loose a little down into the bowl over time.

Vaseline perhaps? Once had the misfortune of working in a rubber shop (baby bottle nipples...) the food grade grease for presses came in 20 gallon drums and was labeled "white petrolatum". Which is what Vaseline is.
--
William

William Bagwell wrote:

You might be fascinated to learn that Amazon sells KY Jelly in 55 gallon drums.
The user reviews are priceless.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)63630347&sr=1-1&keywords=passion+personal+lubricant+55+gallon
--

Reply in group, but if emailing, add a zero and remove the last word.

On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 11:25:50 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso" wrote:

LOL. "Why, by water pump gun, of course." is my favorite quote!
--
William

On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 12:56:31 -0500, "Pete C."

=================== (Amazon.com product link shortened)
http://www.harborfreight.com/85-gram-super-lube-grease-cartridge-93744.html
http://www.belray.com/no-tox-food-grade-grease-ptfe
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
On 4/22/2014 1:31 PM, snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:

Slick 50 one grease. Some say it's snake oil, it's proven to be the best I've used.

Food grade silicone synthetic grease. It won't dry up and harden, and it is food safe - and it lasts "forever" compared to both petrolatum and white Lithium soap grease.
On 4/22/2014 8:10 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I have yet to see a Kitchen Aid mixer spew grease and I doubt any grease would harm anyone in tiny amounts. But, your suggestion is a good one.
On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 20:10:33 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I'll look into the food grade silicone grease. Thanks, Eric
On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 10:31:00 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:

Which food-grade grease did Kitchenaid suggest you use when you called them? ;)
How about this? (no, I've never tried it) http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/grease/x-treme-synthetic-food-grade-grease/
--
Stoop and you'll be stepped on;
stand tall and you'll be shot at.
On 4/23/2014 12:12 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Why are people stuck on food-grade grease? How much does the thing spew into the cookie dough?

I guess you haven't got both state and federal food inspectors stopping by your place. One comes after the Dept. of Ag inspector leaves. The other shows up right after the OSHA inspector fines me again. At least I didn't get fined when the labor inspector who showed up with the new worker protection standard. He only made me train 14 year old strawberry pickers how to apply pesticides. But, my favorite is still the water quality inspector. He has authority over my privy - that's all - and spends three hours a year here checking it out.
Karl
On 4/23/2014 6:45 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:

Most people don't have to deal with the goberment every time they fire-up the cookie dough machine. You're just blessed! OSHA fined me for a non-industrial power strip that had a radio plugged into it...belonged to the same guy that was rejected by one of the girls here so he called OSHA.

I hope he found a horse head in his bed soon thereafter.
--
Stoop and you'll be stepped on;
stand tall and you'll be shot at.
On 4/24/2014 12:04 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Forgive us our trespasses.... You live longer/better without letting things bother you, besides karma's a bitch!

VERY little - but rather safe than sorry - and the stuff is available, at reasonable cost - and it works VERY well.

be

with

has

even

twice

care

and

called

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/grease/x-treme-synthetic-food-grade -grease/

spew

https://www.google.com/#q=nsf+grease

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Please+stop+posting+Google+links+to+easy+searches+that+invalidate+these+kind+of+moronic+questions.+
In his defense, Eric lives in the middle of aerospace alley, been there done that, probably just a spin of the dice that I happen to have kicked that habit and have ended up doing a quite a bit of work in food-processing arena, to spite a similar upbringing.
<wink>
On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 17:07:51 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Even though there is a drip ring around the planetary gear there is another shaft that drips oil from the grease once in a while. I don't want it in my food, it may make it taste bad. I'm pretty sure food grade grease is made to be tasteless so that if it drips into the food not only is there no safety issue there is no product rejected because it tastes bad. When I go to all the trouble of making bread it should taste excellent. Eric