Looking for pipe

I'm trying to find an inexpensive source of pipe or tubing in the 3 to 4 inch range, give or take, that has a fairly good OD tolerance. Most of what I've found has variations of .030", which is too much. The option is to have a machine shop spin something straight for me, but I'm going to first try and find something that won't cost me a whole lot. The only thing that ever came to mind was perhaps oilfield drill string and downpipe, but I'm too far away from the industry, and the specs take hours to dig through looking for dimensional tolerances. Any ideas?

Reply to
carl mciver

ASTM specs for PIPE allow some pretty wide variarions, you have already found that out. The specs for DRAWN **TUBES** are quite a bit tighter. For a 4" OD welded and drawn or butt welded and drawn the spec is

+.011"/-.000" Keep in mind that you can have some ovality on top of that.

Start asking for DOM (drawn over mandrel) material, see what you get.

Stay away from waterpipe grades (water, fire spr> I'm trying to find an inexpensive source of pipe or tubing in the 3 to 4

Reply to
RoyJ

Try Shapiro Supply, they ship nationwide and have a huge inventory. It is mostly surplus so it is priced reasonably.

mclorson