Looking for rollaround tool storage

I've gotten to the point where I really need a rollaround to store my tools. I can't afford new or used SnapOn and I don't like the look and feel of most of the cheaper stuff.

I've seen rollaround stacks of Kennedy going for $600-$700 on sale from the usual suspects and I'm considering going for it.

If anyone has a better idea, or has a used rollaround for sale in northern cal, please let me know.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I've got the 42" ballbearing drawer Craftsman rollaround. Didn't buy the top box so I have my own bench when needed. My box has the deep drawer on the right side, I use this to store paperwork, tool catalogs, etc.. Plenty of space with a nice top for keeping my stuff safe on.

Reply to
Jran

At the local Costco (Washington) they have really nice stainless chests. They are at least 5 feet tall and at least 3 feet wide and have big drawers with ball bearings. These look really nicely made and they are $699. If I were looking I'd buy these in a flash.

Grant

Jim Stewart wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

i bought one of those Sears cabinets and chest combos about 15 years ago for about $399.00 and have it in the shed in back yard.. then years later i got some old office file cabinets(the kinda that are flat against the wall about two draws high and about 3 to 4 ft. wide.. i got them for nothing as the office was throwing them out.. they are metal.. i got two of them one on top of the other in the garage... holds alot of tools... one on rollers would be great for a roll about tool box, you could work on the top and keep the tools in the two draws under it..... i was thinking about building one to duplicate the sears one, but with this in the garage i dont need any... the sears one is so full of tools and i cant move it as the garage/shed in the back yard is so full of junk i can hardly get to it.... yoiu might also consider buying some old file cabinets(small ones) from the donation places like good will, etc.. thats is where these wer probably going to go if i did not take them.... they really look pretty good for a tool boy.. but i bet the high profile office did not want them anymore????

Reply to
jim

Where are you located in NorCal? email me privately if you want.

michael in Hangtown

Reply to
michael

I've gotten to a similar point. Some jerk came through our wood shop three weeks ago and stole my Milwaukee grinder and the new Dewalt circular saw so I've decided to get serious. I've just got too much money invested in my tools at this point and I am sick of the slow drain that comes with being a nice guy and always leaving one's toolbox open. My solution is a little wierd. I'm ordering a Knaack 91 storagemaster chest:

...and plan to build a small chest of drawers to fit under the two shelves for the Starrett stuff while keeping bulkier items like routers etc. on the left and right. The top two shelves look great for mechanics tools and other woodworking stuff I need immediately. The theory here is that the drop down front will allow easier access than most jobsite boxes. It also looks something like a religious shrine and this has definite appeal. Only the annoited may approach my screwdrivers for this time forward and borrowing without my consent will represent an abomination unto me. I've had it. Time to cowboy up.

Reply to
Charles Morrill

My next roll around will be a Stanley Vidmar or Lista cabinet that I'll add some heavy duty casters to. These cabinets can be aquired for $300 to $600 at auction locally. I figure I can get the contents of both my rollaround craftsman boxes in there and have room left over.

Regards, Dave

Reply to
Dave Ficken