machine auction tips for great deals

If you are tired of paying top dollar at machine auctions here's an idea.
You simply take a piece of steel, high carbon alloy works best, and with a
stick welder, lay several beads of many varying lengths on it. The high
carb. will often crack lengthwise down the weld. Then bring the block to a
wire edm shop and have them shave the welds off flush with the block. What
you now have are ugly cracked welds of differant lengths with perfectly flat
backs. Arrive early at the auction and simply wipe off areas on the ways of
the machines you want to bid on, and with a drop of super glue stick the
welds on. For some reason nobody ever tries to pick the weld off, and its
just amazes me how little interest there is in a lathe, mill, cmm, any cnc,
with cracked weld all the way across the ways. This is how we buy all our
equiptment.
We hope you learned from us;
Purchasing Dept.
Halliburton
P.S. We have a lot of other ideas we will be sharing with you in the future
such as spray-on rust in aerosol cans that wipes of easily with solvents.
This seems to work on precision items such as micrometers, gage blocks, pin
gages etc.
Reply to
Dixon
love it!
Reply to
Wayne Lundberg
Hey Dix,
Love the idea(s)!! How do you do it!!! Lemme know when you will be auctioning off some of YOUR stuff, as I know now that you won't mind me doing any of these things to help ME save money and YOU to lose your shirt. Jes' gotta love it!! Love 'em all!!
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Reply to
Brian Lawson
Why doesn't someone just make some latex rust and welds?? I wonder if the look could be duplicated using solder and some colouring??? Any pictures you can post. I'd like to add this to a friends car for April 1st :-)
Reply to
HotRod
"HotRod" wrote: Why doesn't someone just make some latex rust and welds?? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Send for my catalog at
We have various blister-packed assortments to serve every need. We require cash in advance, though, because we know the kind of people we're dealing with.
Reply to
Leo Lichtman
Other cool tricks are to steal small parts of the machine so it's worth much more than you to anyone else. However, why bother? It's so easy to just make a great living robbing crack dealers at gunpoint ..
GWE
Reply to
Grant Erwin
Or make moonshine with 8x10 inch condenser coils that I am now selling for $10 apiece (shameless plug).
I made moonshine 19 years ago, and wish I had such coils them.
Ignoramus12383
Perhaps we can contact the manufacturer of that very realistic rubber vomit and fake dog shit. I wonder if we can get a group rate on a large lot buy?
Gunner
Gunner Asch
My wife and I just got in a huge argument. I'm ticked off and madder than hell.
But this was still funny. LOL
Mike
Reply to
mj
I liked the SOB who moved a bunch of the stuff I bought into his pile before I had a chance to get it out. Auction guys knew *exactly* who it was too.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany