Machine Gun Parts kits

Mostly I stop when the argument is too ridiculous to respond to. Here's Dan arguing over whether we're having an argument. I'm speaking English, so I say yes we are. Dan is speaking Latin and talking philosophy, and he says no we're not.

I'll stick with English and the English-language dictionaries, and leave Dan to contemplate his declensions -- or his navel. It's not worth an argument. It's not even worth an assertion. d8-)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Not really. I just moved my lathe to the basement from the garage. I took it apart to lighten it, but the bed and headstock still weighed about twice as much as I can lift. i am going to make a compression spring for a fellow. So I take a break every now and then and look to see if anyone is doing any metalwork.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I find he wants the last word.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

It sounds like my day, only I've been working on a frigging dishwasher that suddenly started plastering lime deposits over everything.

'All fixed now -- I think. Meanwhile, I did have to grind a special tool to get the upper spray head off. Why they don't use standard tools for that kind of thing, I'll never understand. You'd think they were fastening hinges on a bank safe and wanted to make them untouchable.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

You only think that because *you* want it so badly.

Now, go ahead and have the last word. I'll leave it to you, promise...

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Ed normally goes into Insult mode until pressed really hard, then interjects something weak or utterly unconnected..then when his bolt is shot..he goes back to insults. Either he is utterly lazy, or doesnt have a leg to stand on..or his senile dementia is progressing rapidly.

Thats why I put him back in the bozo bin. Ive got better things to to than f*ck around with the demented and lazy.

Gunner

Reply to
GunnerAsch

In other words, you've gotten your bullshit called on you too many times, and you can't take it anymore.

We know your style, Gunner. I've been expecting you to revert to type any day now. I figured that the CDC issue, and the crap you spewed on it, would be the last straw.

It was.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I find that Ed normally replies in kind. For the most part.

Reply to
Richard

Thank you, Richard. I try. d8-)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Dan

Are you going to concede that stating the number of people that believe something is not an argument?

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Unless his only honest option for last words is "I'm wrong."

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

He should buy my knife. (have fun reading this!)

I'll ship it to him for only $35.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

LOL! Well done. If you manage to sell it...I think Ive got a couple of them in the bottom of my knife cabinet...and I think one is a 2 piecer...a blade and a grip. So its a compact! (and a shining example of knife testing involving a vise and a strong push)

Perhaps you can sell them for me as well?

Gunner

Reply to
GunnerAsch

Lime deposits? Probably due to phosphate deprivation.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Does phosphate take care of lime? I had the whole washer apart and soaking in vinegar. I heat that the pros use dilute muriatic, but open the windows first.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Phosphate prevents the accumulation of lime in the first place, and will remove deposits slowly. Organic acids like vinegar or citric acid will work faster.

One thing to be careful of is that there may be zinc aluminum diemetal components that can be dissolved if one is too aggressive.

One thing to try is running the dishwasher empty using TSP (trisodium phosphate) from the paint store. Us the same amount as if the TSP were the old Cascade. Make sure you get real TSP, not something sold as equivalent, like sodium silicate. Savogran is the right brand, but gotta read the label.

If you have a lab supply company, another thing to try Alconix "Alcojet" detergent. This is used in labs to clean scientific glassware and equipment. Works really well on stainless steel.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Thanks for the tips, Joe. Yes, I have real, 100% TSP. I'll try the empty wash and use some with each load for a while.

I'm trying everything. Everything before the Alcojet first -- $35 for four pounds?? That tilts my cheapskate meter, but if all else fails...

Yesterday, after washing a load but AFTER the vinegar treatment, I had to rinse all of the stainless steel with vinegar and then wash by hand. Enough of that!

And it happened all of a sudden, after years with no problems.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I've tried running TSP in addition to zero-phosphate Cascade, and it does work, but isn't perfect.

There is a commercial product that does better, and I'll remember the name eventually.

I have a box or two. It stores well, and is very effective.

One of the things I noticed when the detergents changed in ~2010 was that coffee and tea cups developed a tightly adhering brown film that even hand scrubbing didn't touch.

Alconox, the original lab detergent (which I first heard of while in college), is intended for hand washing of labware, and so I tried it, and noticed that the brown film peeled right off after a little soaking.

Coffee and tea stains are still the waterloo of non-phosphate detergents.

Alconox is also very good in ultrasonic cleaners.

This continual liming of washed items is a classic mark of a detergent problem.

Wonder if the formula for whatever detergent you were using changed. Or if you have a water softener that needs a recharge - hard water is another waterloo for no-phosphate detergents. Or your local water source changed.

Here are some reports:

What make and model of dishwasher do you have? I think I remember it was a Bosch.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

No, mine is a Maytag. I'm going back at it this afternoon. After that, I quit. d8-)

I'll store your suggestions in case I get the initiative to go at it again. Thanks again.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

When I studied chemistry in the 60's the profs said that Tide was the best lab glassware cleaner. Much of the glassware had unbrushable shapes and any residue, especially of metallic salts, could poison the next experiment.

Notice that the dose of alcohol that kills half the rats that drink it is only 0.7% of their weight.

If Tide failed we resorted to hot chromic acid, which could strip the pavement off the street.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins