Machining characteristics of plastic pipe

for anybody thinking to sue the stuff in a sunlight application for its intended purpose, that is very misleading. It will sun rot and break like white water pipe, just not as fast. The schedule 40 is absolutely not rated for sunlight, and while the schedule 80 is, I can say it will also sun rot, and the only reason it doesn't break up in most applications is the extra wall thickness. Not taking away from your application, just wanted to throw that in there before somebody electrocuted themselves down the road. As to your driveway markers... Why not put in some pressure treated 4x4s with some reflectors screwed to them?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

reads in PVC. =A0An threaded

I second this; might be easier to get uniform heat by dipping the end of the pipe into a pot of boiling H2O, though. There are also threaded union fittings (for joining plumbing pipe PVC to threaded steel or Cu), that you can easily plastic-weld to a pipe.

If you really DO thread a PVC tube, it will weaken it. A lot. Don't try to use taps/dies (it's a very grabby material).

Reply to
whit3rd

Both Carlon (major conduit manufacturer in the USA) and the NFPA (the folks that write the NEC) disagree with you. Sunlight resistant is printed right on there, on schedule 40. It's rated for the prupose, its designed to be used for the purpose.

Massive overkill, massive waste of money, and foolish to put something that will cause damage if you slide into it alongside the driveway. 25 cents worth of PVC and a couple more cents worth of Scotchlite tape do the job just fine, and don't damage anything if they are hit with a car.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

am I sure it's epoxy? well, "no", I'm not sure - the Devecon to which I refer is a 2 part adhesive, in a dual syringe that is mixed like an epoxy, and the blister pack says it's an epoxy, but I so far have accepted on faith the statements of the manufacturer.

Reply to
Bill Noble

That stuff comes in several flavors - from raw resin to a steel filled putty. But they are all (AFAIK) quick set - generally 5 minute - stuff.

And no, it probably wouldn't develop a good hold on PVC.

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck....

Anyway, I'll have a look in my Home Pro and see whether they stock the stuff. If they do it will be nice to have as at the moment I am encapsulating PVC pipe to make a drain through a bulkhead. If I can just glue it will be much easier to fix the thing.

Cheers,

Bruce (bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Reply to
Bruce In Bangkok

Ducks come in many shapes and sizes.

Have you ever used T-88 (made by System Three)?

It's not 5 minute stuff, but the best all 'round epoxy adhesive on the market. Simple (and tolerant) 1:1 mix.

HIGHLY recommended.

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb

Most of my "gluing" is done with a commercial epoxy glue - comes in 5 Kg. cans and is essentially epoxy resin thickened with carbosil (I believe). Hardening time is about 4 hours with the usual several day time for full strength.

Cheers,

Bruce (bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Reply to
Bruce In Bangkok

this specific Devcon plastic epoxy to which I refer is explicitly designed to glue plastics - it is the ONLY think I've found that will bond to nylon, for example, and it does adhere well to PVC - it has a very strong smell, not like most epoxies - it attacks many plastics (presumably that helps it stick) - I've repaired the gear carrier in the starter motor on my 944 with this stuff and it held up for 10 years (saving me $350 for a new starter), I've used it to repair broken PVC cell phone cases (when a solvent glue doesn't work).

other epoxies that I tried do not stick to many plastics, I agree.

Reply to
Bill Noble

I've used this product, and the last time I bought it, was from Fastenal.

You're correct, Bill.. it's odor is strong and wicked and not at all like typical epoxies.

I've been around a lot of industrial chemicals and coatings, but this epoxy for plastics is about the nastiest smelling thing I've enountered.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

And yet I can show you hundreds of locations where the stuff is turning color and getting brittle within a few miles of my house. Both sch40 and

80.

Reply to
Bob La Londe