Machinist's Library?

I got the Hari Seldon ref (Isaac Asimov) and the encyclopedia ref triggered an ancient recollection but I don't get the Dors ref...

Jay

Reply to
jj

Dors Venabili, Seldon's wife. She *was* a machine. Literally. :-)

-tih

Reply to
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo

I also have the nice green 16th - bought new and the large print 25 (blue).

Consider alloy information on cutter material. Some names are not in the new book at all. In the new book there are carbide and it isn't in the old. I have old screw specs in the old one - new one dominates on the new stuff and not so much on the old.

Someone in the group has a shelf of different versions.

Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

D> According to Hari Seldon :

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

is great - second hand book search engine, It has bot cost me a lot of money and saved me a lot at the same time...

Reply to
Geoff M

My newest Machinery's is a 21st edition. Also have a Fifth edition that has some potentially useful info not found in the later offerings.

Machine Shop Primer Colvin/Stanley 1910 First edition, covering equipment, tools, and shop terms of the time. Neat book. One can see the changes, or lack thereof, in equipment, etc. I found that oil-fed drills were used then. Would have thought that was a more recent development.

Shop and Foundry Practice 1903, if I was wanting to do some home foundry work, blacksmithing, or forging, this has probably everything I would need to know. After flipping through it, I'll make some time to read the blacksmithing & forging sections. Also have Shop Theory from the Henry Ford Trade School printed in 1942, Machine Shop Practice 2 vol set by Moltrecht 1981, and a few others including welding.

Like you, I had no formal apprenticeship and have gotten lots of OJT since 1970, including 21 years as a business owner. I've learned something from all of these books and expect to learn more when I find time to do a bit more reading. All of the older books were aquired at no cost to me from friends who figured I would find them of better use than would they.

I guess my suggestion is don't pass anything up, especially if the price is right.

mj

Reply to
michael

I have not had much success finding books in the library that have been mentioned here, even with ILL. I remember once doing a nation-wide library search without finding the book.

An alternative to the library for reading-before-buying is eBay "rental". Buy a used one on eBay, being careful to not pay more than the going rate. Read it and then re-sell it on eBay. On the average it will cost shipping and seller fees.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt