Thank you for the T-shirt

And the beautiful card. Merry Christmas and happy new year to you and everyone at Cathay Kim.

-jim

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Whoops, was supposed to go to our Taiwanese parts broker..

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Been there, done that...

The oopsasecond is defined as the time between hitting "send" and realizing you're still pointing at a newsgroup.

Happy Holidays,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I thought that was an 'OhNoSecond"

Carla

Reply to
Carla Fong

You can "cancel" a message, if you're quick. The trick is to get the "cancel" message to your provider before the message has been sent out all over the world. I'm not sure about other newsreaders... but Outlook Express has it built-in. David

Reply to
David Courtney

You can cancel ANY message you have sent, any time! Of course, cancelling the message the next day doesn't stop people from reading it in the interim, but it will remove it from nearly all the servers that got it originally. I have done this occasionally when I realized I said something redundant, or that came out totally wrong.

Since usenet is not a guaranteed-delivery system, like e-mail, both the posting of messages and the cancelling of them is on a time-available basis on various servers, and they may miss either or both the message and.or the cancel.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

That hasn't been true for more than a decade. cancel messages are easily forged, were widely abused, and are nearly universally ignored by newsservers, by configuration.

It was a great idea, which was abused by people with less than honorable intent, so it's nearly worthless. Hm, pardon me, I need to go check my email...

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Cancelling also only works on servers which still *accept* cancels. Thanks to massive abuse of this capability by a character posting as "hipcrime" (among others), many news servers have disabled the cancelling feature.

Agreed. Or the cancel *might* arrive before the original message, in which case it is rather server-dependent whether the cancel takes effect or not.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Where's it at? Thanks Karl