Happy or Merry

Is it Happy or Merry Christmas. I've not had a xmas in England for 19 years (more the shame) and don't remember. Over here in the US its merry Christmas if your politically incorrect, usually Happy Holidays.... (Wa&^ers) Rob

Reply to
Rob Kemp

"Rob Kemp"

Merry Christmas North America

Happy Christmas in the UK and ???????

Who cares about political correctness, it's Christmas.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Ill second that, its got stupid in my opinion.. Thanks Rob

Reply to
Rob Kemp

What? Why didn't anybody tell me?

Reply to
MartinS

Reply to
Rob Kemp

Now political correctness is involved with Happy Christmas or Happy Holidays, who gets offended my Happy Christmas? and Who gets a kick with Happy Holidays.

I sometimes wonder who things this stuff up?

in any case....

Enjoy what ever you like it to be called.....

"Rob Kemp" ha scritto nel messaggio news:ec-dnUfzndAKDDHenZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
delboy

In message , Roger T. writes

If you add the new year into the greeting, you get ***** Christmas and a Happy New Year

Now if ***** represents "happy" you have anaphora, which sounds odd in this context, so I suggest it should be "merry". When you shorten it to just Christmas, some people use "happy" and others use "merry". You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

In message , delboy writes

Don't forget that in the U.S.A. "holidays" doesn't have the meaning of "vacation" that it does in the U.K., but refers to what we call "bank holidays" or "public holidays". So the expression "happy holidays" is not really appropriate in the U.K. because of the possible confusion of meaning.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

incorrect,

Well, having Jewish friends has got me into the habit of saying 'seasons greetings', it's only Christmas if you follow a Christian church...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Well, it's not if you are Jewish or Muslim etc.!

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Nope, but they still take the paid leave for a non muslim or jewish holiday I believe, in Britain anyway....

Reply to
estarriol

True, although I have a jewish mate who will arrive about tea time or just after so he can sneak a helping of Christmas pudding, and whenever someone says happy/merry christmas he adds pudding to it......

Reply to
estarriol

When I lived in LA our lawyer (ex model, ex actress etc) used to thow wonderful parties to mark the season, things got a bit complicated as these included at least two 'witches', jewish, Christian, (one) Mohammedan, a couple of Bhuddists and a few I was never to clear about. She used to make her own greetings cards. Splendid parties though. Good woman.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Well, it's still Christmas, even if you don't celebrate that festival. Just as it's still Diwalil, or Hanukkah, or Ramadan. The fact these things don't directly affect me, doesn't mean they're not happening.

Merry Christmas to all, and Happy New Year.

Martyn

Reply to
M Roberts

That's like saying it's not Sunday because you are not religious. It

*is* Christmas, just as it *was* Dwali a few weeks ago.

It's this kind of statement that leads to compartmentalisation and division that eventually leads to trouble.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

wrote

Well said!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

The Thought Police care about political correctness!!

On the subject of Muslims and Christmas, some years ago I worked in the Sultanate of Oman and Christmas was getting closer. My boss, a delightful Omani, told me that although the Muslims did not celebrate Christmas they nonethless recognised it as important to us Christians, and we were free to practice our religion in their country. As Christmas got nearer I could buy Christmas cards and Christmas decorations, and outside one of the shopping malls was a real live crib. "Mary" and "Joseph" were Omanis, they did about an hour in the tent and were then relieved by another "Mary" and "Joseph", the baby Jesus was in a manger and outside there were two Omanis and a camel, half a Rial (about £0.70p) for a ride up to the tent to see the Holy Family. This latter was provided mainly for the Christian children but there were plenty of the Omani kids enjoying it as well. As my Boss said, "To me, Mohammed is the greatest of the prophets - but your man Jesus Christ was a jolly good bloke as well". Tolerance, acceptance of and respect for the other man's view - not a sign of political correctness - surely this is the way it's supposed to be?

(No offence meant in the above to those of other faiths). A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.

David Costigan

Reply to
David Costigan

The message from "Rob Kemp" contains these words:

Who gives a damn abou political correctness!

Personally, I prefer a "Happy Christmas", to be followed by a "Very Merry New Year" - and we'll quietly forget about the hangover at the beginning of January.

Happy Christmas to all.

Reply to
David Jackson

Surely they are *statutory* public holidays (Xmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year's Day)? What has their faith got to do with it?

The real issue is that (most) Moslems want four weeks' unpaid leave every year for Ramadan. And they are legally entitled to have it. And that's all there is to it. If that means the company is depopulated and cannot function, tough.

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

festival. Just

things don't

No, it's only Christmas to those who celebrate it, to everyone else it's something different, to an atheist it's just 25 December...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::