"Machinists Workshop" Worth it?

Anyone subscribe to Machinist Workshop magazine? Is it worth the $24.95 for 6 issues? Comments? Reviews?
Thanks,
Bill Marrs

I get it along with HSM. I consider it to be HSM overflow. I manange to pull one "nugget" of information out of each issue - even if I don't build another dial indicator holder. Four dollars and change an issue is cheap nowdays and Village Press still uses coated paper. The ads are good.
Regards,
Marv
Bill Marrs wrote:

I've bought it for years. Its really geared to the beginner or those with totally inferior machines and tooling (made in China, etc.)
But, every time, just as I'm about to cancel, there's one GEM of an article. Something I really could use, stuff I'd never think of myself. For the exact same reason, I lurk on this NG regularly and even post once in a while.
Karl
What he said! Bob Swinney

article.
In my opinion HSM is a much better value. I got both for years, but dropped the other a couple years ago because I just wasn't getting much of value out of it.
One of the local book stores carrys it, so I do go down there and take a look... if I see something in that issue that's really new/interesting then I buy that issue. I haven't bought one in many many months...

I must agree with the others. It seems to have stuff that is geared toward the beginner. I look though it everymonth at the local bookstore and have only purchased 1 so far out of 6 or 8. I would definatly not subscribe to it. Just my opinion.
Russ Wizinsky
www.professorwiz.com www.metalhobbies.com
    --It's OK, not great. Heavy emphasis on gunsmithing. the UK publication Model Engineers Workshop is at least ten times better, IMO.
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Just another Fart in
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : the Elevator of Life...
steamer wrote:

Wise owl pub. in CA is the US agent for "Model Eng. Workshop" Do a google for their www. Runs about $47/yr. Don Warner --------

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 10:02:36 -0500, the renowned "Donald"

Sez in the front of the mag.. $47.50 surface, $53 airmail to the US
http://www.wiseowlmagazines.com/ME_Mags_MW.html
They say $45.50 and 52.50 for surface/air.
But they have a special until Dec. 31 at US$42 airmail for US/Canada/Mexico which is a pretty darn good deal (only US$6.80/issue)
http://wiseowl.safeshopper.com/175/cat175.htm?128
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 14:20:42 -0800, Koz

Can't find where I have put a later edition than 91(July) costs $12.20 in Oz from newsagent, I am considering a subscription which will cost about $83.50 or just over $10 per issue
8 issues per year US subs airmail $53, surface $47.50 US agent Wise Owl Worldwide Pubs email snipped-for-privacy@wiseowlmagazines.com www.wiseowlmagazines.com
Alan in beautiful Golden Bay, Western Oz, South 32.25.42, East 115.45.44 GMT+8 VK6 YAB ICQ 6581610 to reply, change oz to au in address
Howdy! The US subscription to Model Engineers' Workshop is 26.5 pounds which is ~ $45 today. This covers 8 issues. The subscription URL is:
http://www.nexusonline.com/pages/nexusdirect.cgi
This seems a little "pricey" to me, but then I've never seen a copy. For those who have seen both, is Model Engineers' Workshop worth twice what Machinists Workshop costs?
Inquiring minds wnat to know.
Rick

If you enjoy model building either from exact plans or need ideas for your own plans then the magazines are worthwhile.
10 years ago HSM and MW (then called PIM) were a godsend, for the advertisements and the methods-of-work tidbits. I found the shop-accessories projects interesting but had and still have no interest in engines or other modelmaking.
I stuck with HSM because there are still enough worthwhile tidbits, but dropped MW and haven't missed it. For access to learning and other resources the magazines are increasingly irrelevant what with the internet and the general rebirth of small hobby-oriented publishing.
Either way, I still recommend Village Press' "Shop Wisdom" series and also in particular Guy Lautard's three Bedside Readers. http://lautard.com
Bob