Made a screw earth clamp for welding

I recall a woodwork/metalwork teacher at school giving an explanation for this. I don't there's any real reason behind the Americans using the letter "C" and the English using the letter "G". After all, it looks like a "C" without the screw, but a "G" with the screw. I think it's just the way the names evolved. But my teacher's explanation centred around how the device was used. Apparently, if the device is portable it's a cramp, but if it's designed for securing work to a single machine, bench etc. it's a clamp. That's what he told us anyway.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Currently I'm waiting to get the transformers. They're very heavy and I need my father to pick them up in his estate car or trailer. In the meantime I'm doing some work to renovate the motor. Last night I removed the pulley from the motor shaft. It's secured with a taper key and after

70-odd years it was stuck on there pretty tight. I was glad I had a decent gear puller. I did a rudimentary calculation and worked out that it took about 3 tons of force to remove the pulley. But everything came apart undamaged. I did take a few photos of the process if you're interested.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 13:31:14 +0000 (UTC), the blithe spirit Christopher Tidy clearly indicated:

for "clamp" vs. "cramp"

The Merkins prolly saw the C in the frame alone. The Wogs, being anal and all that rot, saw it more completely (with the screw up) as a G.

Speaking of screwups, how 'bout them FEMA feebs?

(sorry for both. Couldn't resist.)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 09:29:37 -0700, the blithe spirit Larry Jaques clearly indicated:

Oops, I meant "Poms", not "wogs."

Reply to
Larry Jaques