Magnesium: DOW 2410

I have some magnesium bar stock I picked up surplus many years ago. It is marked DOW 2410. I thought it would be a simple matter to google the allow but haven't found it online. It is about thirty years old so perhaps the designation is obsolete?

Can someone here direct me to information on the alloy, composition and properties?

It might be anode stock.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

Care to sell some at a highly discounted rate to a long lost internet friend? I'm in the market for a small piece for a very creative outdoor fire project of sorts as unique as that may sound.

And yes, I'll sign a waiver clearing you of any responsibility for eye, skin or otehr damage. :)

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

"Joe AutoDrill" fired this volley in news:e2W4j.428$md.278@trnddc06:

Joe, better get a full inkpen. I have had a magnesium accident during my career, and the effects ain't purdy.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

They can be nasty! Hope you healed fully as some can also be permanent....

This particular application will be shielded behind a barrier with the "light show" visable as reflected light in an outdoor atmosphere with local police and Fire Department approval... Lots of hoops to jump thru between aquisition and implementation. :)

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

... drooling over other people's stock of magnesium... :(:(:(

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

"Joe AutoDrill" fired this volley in news:E9X4j.436$md.54@trnddc06:

Yeah, pretty well healed, except for the possible increase in skin cancer risk from the whopping dose of UV I received.

I had 100g of magnesium dust catch fire in a fuel/air explosion (not a "boom", just a "whump"). The fireball was never closer to me than 8', but I suffered 3rd degree burns from the brief but intense radiation.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Ouch....

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Yowza. Would be interesting to equate to a nuclear burst, something like

100 kilotons at 1/2 mile. Did you leave a shadow on the opposing wall?
Reply to
Richard J Kinch

All safety issues agreed: you can get Mg from the spent anodes out of solar hot-water units. I've collected a few over the years: still trying to figure a way to

*safely* melt & cast them :)
Reply to
David R Brooks

An easy place for free scrap magnesium are dead water heaters. These usually have an iron core but for what you want it for it doesn't seem to pose a problem.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

So... You split the thing open and inside, there is a magnesium somethingorother easily accessible or can it be pulled from the outside?

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Also from old air-cooled VW engine cases. Magnesium is (or at least was) cheaper than aluminum in Easter European countries.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

Working on getting one of those... All the locals want me to disassemble the darn car for them... Plus, I think it may be too large for what I need to do...

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

innews:e2W4j.428$md.278@trnddc06:

I was about 15 mileseEast of this fire:

and could see the flashes on the horizon and hear the rumbling in the distance.

The local news showed the fire spreading from one end of a warehouse to the other, perhaps a hundred yards or so, in about three to five seconds.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

Disassemble the whole car, or just pull the engine?

Some were magnesium, some aluminum and you can still buy new blocks in either metal.

AIr-cooled VW blocks are made in two pieces that bolt together so if a block is twice as much as you need it's just right.

I'm also told that a sledge hammer can turn one into smaller pieces in a hurry.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

Images here.

I think the FD was watering the nearby buildings and not the fire itself...

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

I just shipped one of these to Australia for a friend:

David Courtney

Well, let's see. I've got a dozen 10' long 6" I-beams, non-standard profile, looks like a rolling experiment. 35# apiece. Unknown alloy. Any Dow designation would be obsolete, Dow quit producing Magnesium by the early '90's.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Pete,

Can you take a match to it and see if... er... never mind.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

They just unscrew. It is about a 1 inch hex plug on top. They are often in there pretty tight, and if the water is hard, there won't be much rod left. Or you can just buy a replacement one at Home Depot. They aren't very expensive, so maybe it is a cheap alloy.

According to this link they are also aluminum and aluminum/zinc/tin

DT