Makita MXT cordless drills defective?

I'm aware that Makita drills are well-respected. My dad is very good at using tools and likes them.

Recently I bought a Makita 18 volt MXT that just stopped turning after drilling a few continuous holes in a 2 x 4. Apparently something in the drive train disconnected, something other than the chuck/bit or the clutch.

So I'm still looking for a drill. I'm wondering whether that was bad luck, should I avoid the MXT line, or just avoid the 18 V MXT.

Thank you.

Reply to
John Doe

You didnt return it on warranty and get another one?

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right before demode` (out of fashion).

-Buddy Jordan 2001

Reply to
Gunner

Mine has served me well for some time now.

-Steve W

Reply to
Steve W

Just purchased an 18 volt Rigid. It has a good reputation as a solid tool and right now they're offering a lifetime warranty that "includes" the batteries.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

Yes, but in the near future you learn an unpleasant lesson about Home Depot branded tools. They change the part number, color or appearance and when you ask for a replacement they tell you they don't make that model anymore and you are SOL. Been there with wrenches and screwdrivers. Leigh at MarMachine

Reply to
CATRUCKMAN

On 23 Sep 2006 20:33:17 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, snipped-for-privacy@AOL.COM quickly quoth:

Searz does the same thing. I come back a mere 30 years later and they no longer made the 1/4" drive screwdriver handle with the 1/4" socket in the end of it, so it can fit on your ratchet. After a couple hours on the phone to India, I mean Searz Customer Service, they finally agreed to fund a replacement of the Lifetime Guaranteed Crapsman tool.

I found one for $8 at NAPA, built by the same folks who make all of Searz Crapsman tools. Searz? Never again! Crapsman? Not since they went downhill in the late 70s. My earlier Craftsman tools are hanging in there just fine.

Reply to
Larry Jaques