Metal fatigue - on Christmass yet!

Best Christmas that I can remember! My buddy found the problem with the brakes on the Dodge Van, a rubber line had an internal ply separation and was making the brakes funky and somewhat scary. He delivered the van on Christmas eve so I could take the wheel-chaired parents to Church and to diner. My sister made homemade cinnamon rolls for brunch. I had a few hours to nap in the afternoon before a prime rib for Christmas diner and was doing so until....A blade bracket on my ceiling fan failed and shed a blade into a mirror. Well, THAT'S a wake-up call!!! Now, the fan being about a pound out of balance sounds just like Santa's reindeers are all in rut on the roof. One could have seen white all the way around my eyes!

So, the bracket's made of potmetal and I sure can't make a new one...any ideas where to get one for a 20 yr old fan? I think it's a Hunter but I will have to check. -or it's off to HD.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

HD has generic (possibly hunter too) replacement parts. They may or may not fit. You could probably order one from Hunter. Karl

Reply to
Karl Vorwerk

Funny, my garage door spring snapped today.

Ignoramus11573

I would be inclined to replace all of them. Maybe just buy a new fan as they are quite cheap.

AJS

Reply to
AJS

St. Vincent De Paul seens to usually have ceiling fans. I had something similar happen a few years ago that involved a dogs toy, a bit too ambitious a toss and a running ceiling fan. It cleared the room...

I found the identical fan at either SVDP or the Goodwill and simply replaced the sheared bracket. Cost me a couple dollars

Gunner

Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low-stress, nonaddictive, gender-neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or the secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious or secular persuasions and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all.

May you have a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling, and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2005, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make the world great, and without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith, political belief, choice of computer platform, or sexual preference of the wishee.

By accepting this greeting you are accepting these terms. This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It is freely transferable with no alteration to the original greeting. It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for herself or himself or others, is void where prohibited by law, and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wisher. This wish is under warranty to perform as expected within the usual application of good tidings for a period of one year, or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first, and the warranty is limited to replacement of this wish or issuance of a new wish at the sole discretion of the wisher.

Reply to
Gunner

Tom, I saw some replacement brackets in Walmart the other day.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

If it's about 20 years old, there's probably a good chance that it is a Hunter.

If you decide to make the new bracket, ya might as well make a set.

Separation in brake hoses can give all kinds of goofy brake responses. A friend had one that was pumping fluid into the outer layer, and it would expand but wasn't leaking.

WB ..........

Reply to
Wild Bill

How old is that van? This is why it's a good idea to change all the brake hoses every 10 or 15 years, or when you put on rebuilt calipers around that timeframe...

Yeah, that'll get your complete attention, all right.

If you can find replacement brackets easily available, change the whole set - or you can throw off the balance of the fan, and it doesn't take much. The blades are matched down to a few grams.

My professional opinion: New ceiling fans are inexpensive enough that if you can't get the parts easily it's not worth fighting with fixing the old fan, unless you want to fix it as a personal challenge.

Even a customer who had a beautiful (and at one time rather expensive) Casablanca fan with their first-generation one-wire electronic controller. The control board lost it's "Magic Smoke", and the circuit board was built inside the motor housing - parts are no longer available, get a new one.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman