Metal Nibbler Three

Picture

I was just hoping for good mechanicals when I bought it, but it might actually be repairable.

Its had a new Mitsubishi controller installed, and I was told that they got the X & Y to work, but had some problems with the Z, I wonder if maybe there is a brake on Z that was not being disengaged with the new control.

I had started looking for manuals, but there was a stack of manuals that came with it. I was surprised since they were not advertised in the sale. The manual for the Mitsubishi controller was inside the control cabinet too.

There is also a box of tapes (program and code files I assume) and five tool holders including some minor tooling and a drill chuck. It looks like #30 tool holders, but I was told they were "Quick 200." Anybody know how to measure them to know what it is. (I have not looked in the manuals yet.)

Now I have two problems.

  1. Getting it off the trailer.

  1. Powering it up. I'll need to get a pretty good size phase convertor from the look of it.

It will probably be six months to a year before I can start cutting with it.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Had one of the heavy straps on the mill cut completely through for no good reason. It looked slack in the mirror so I pulled, tied off the cut end with, and cinched it back down. Other than that. No issues. It was still quite secure with the other three straps.

Four straps on the mill. Two on the control box, and one across my sacrificial slide panel. Its covered with a tarp in the yard right now. Tomorrow I start trying to figure out exactly where I want it and how to unload it. My loader won't handle that much weight. Neither will my cherry picker. I guess I need to run right out and buy a forklift. LOL.

The electric winch made it very easy to slide it forward to just past the balance point on the trailer.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Well -- the #30 ones are the same taper as the big end of an R8 collet -- and the same diameter. (You can find the dimensions in Machinery's Handbook.)

The #30 has a flange past the big end which has two notches 180 degrees apart. If it is the NTMB 30 (or NMTB -- I keep getting that reversed), the flange will be about 1/4" thick (says he without measuring one) and the two notches will be identical. The edge will be a simple edge to a disk. There will be a cylindrical section at the small end, with an internal thread for a drawbar. (Though some quick-change spindles do not need a drawbar.)

If the #30 is a CAT-30 or some of the other similar flavors, the flange will be a bit thicker with a V-groove turned into the edge, and the two notches will be of different size -- so the tool will always load with the same orientation. It is a designed for an automatic tool changer. With those, you will find a ball screwed into the end of the conical section -- with no cylindrical section.

Now -- if the Quick-200 is what I am remembering, instead of having a flange with a pair of notches, it will instead have a pair of projecting wings about where the notches would be on a NTMB 30. And they are smaller. But they are still tapered.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Wow.. you could make mini-mills with that machine!

Reply to
Wild_Bill

That thought did cross my mind. Actually I could make all the structural parts for mini mills on a mini mill by making a couple semi permanent alignment jigs. Some of the bigger parts would be easier on this bad boy though.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I'll post a picture later when I finish my coffee and wander out to the shop.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

If this machine uses "Kwik Switch" toolholders they look like this:

If it actually happens to use Series 300 I have a few I'd love to get rid of (Bought by mistake and they don't fit our mill, which is a 200 size)

Carla

A study conducted by UCLA's Department of Psychiatry has revealed that the kind of face a woman finds attractive on a man can differ depending on where she is in her menstrual cycle. For example: if she is ovulating, she is attracted to men with rugged and masculine features. However, if she is menstruating or menopausal, she tends to be more attracted to a man with duct tape over his mouth and a spear lodged in his chest with a bat up his butt while he is on fire. No further studies are expected on this subject.

Reply to
Carla Fong

When all else fails, read the instructions.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Tool holders.

Looks like the Kwik 200 you posted an Ebay link to.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

You've certainly demonstrated your many skills and abilities on the smaller machines, so I hope to see the capabilities of this machine applied to some future projects, and I presume you do, too.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

[ ... ]

Yes -- I agree.

I hope that this was shot with a fairly wide-angle lens or lens zoom setting. Otherwise, the nearest one looks enough larger than the most distant to suggest two different series. Measure the big end diameter on both to see how far they differ.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Its just perspective. They are the same taper. Picture was shot in low res zoom with my camera phone.

Reply to
Bob La Londe