Metalworking

Today I drilled out and re-tapped the stud I broke in my truck's exhaust manifold . It broke while I was taking the motor apart one piece at a time looking for a new and rather loud tick . Today I found it - the OEM camshaft timing gear was shedding the plastic teeth . Picked up parts today , including a new-to-me intake manifold . May or may not use it , the plumbing is different . Tomorrow I'll probably make new studs for the right side exhaust manifold since the other two unscrewed from the manifold with the nuts still on 'em . -- Snag

Reply to
Snag

Is it worth making new studs? Smother the threads with antiseize & run 'em back in!

Reply to
Glenn B

Today we flame cut some junk steel plates, 2 inch thick. We used a track torch. We cut it into pieces that will fit a flat rate box for cheap shipping. The hope is to sell to impulse buyers who want a piece of heavy steel plate and do not wan tto pay for a lot of shipping.

Ignoramus3720

New studs are CHEAP - (but apparently not as cheap as Snag). You can't get away with allthread. Drman makes any stud you might need, and real auto parts stores stock just about any sise you might possibly need - (or use header bolts). I don't like using bolts - but some guys like them. Brass nuts are the bee's knees for exhaust work

Reply to
clare

Might be an option , but if I can get those nuts off it'll be a lot easier . There's a shoulder on the stud that holds the exhaust crossover valve . Then a nut/spring holds the pipe . I guess the spring setup lets the joint flex a bit as the motor moves in the mounts . Gotta replace at least the one that snapped .

Reply to
Snag

Boy, I bet your mailman hates you!

Guess I'm worse. I buy boxes of lead bullets shipped flat rate.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

You are onto something. This is a mailwoman. We try to help her load that stuff into her mail vehicle.

Small?

Reply to
Ignoramus27351

20+ years ago I came up with the politically correct term for this occupation ( can't use the term mailman any longer): - personperson.
Reply to
geraldrmiller